ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Man Missing on Mt Baldy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 8/16/2011, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Man Missing on Mt Baldy Reply to topic Reply with quote

report I got was man did not return to a lodge in Greer as discussed so they reported him missing. they found his vehicle at the West Baldy TH and his name in the log book but no other sign. report below mentions something about about signout log which isn't what I've seen on Baldy as not all trailheads have log books. After the fire the trails were posted as not maintained as last major Baldy SAR gave them grief about the 250 downed trees. Many folks get confused as Baldy is not marked or is missing trail signs in the case of the east/west jct. Many end up on the tribal peak or south peak expecting to see tribal signs which are gone too. not too many years ago a lost Baldy scout was found way off course on rez in the direction of white river but otherwise ok.

http://www.wmicentral.com/news/latest_news/authorities-searching-for-missing-hiker-on-mount-baldy/article_bbcd1cd0-c794-11e0-a15b-001cc4c002e0.html
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 8/16/2011, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

here's the Aug 2003 article on the 2 scouts found 13 miles away from Mt Baldy on the rez. Seemed to recall report was they somehow went straight when they reached the trail jct at the ridge? Right would of taken them to Mt Warren and left to the tribal peak.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/article_7ce23bb7-95f4-56e4-b488-b91bea865d28.html
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 8/19/2011, 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SAR week #1 completed without any reported clues and slow.

Wonder how long they'll keep boots on the ground as that's my favorite dayhike area in the winter and summer.

I can see for some it would be easy to get on the wrong path due to few trail signs and no trail markers. ( not all trails even have registries and east/west jct is not signed )

The extreme case was the scouts found 13 miles off course on their way to Whiteriver.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/22/2011, 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

He looks to be fairly fit, hope he's still kicking and gets found soon.

GTG
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/22/2011, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's an update for today I got from another website, posted by a SAR member:

"Really wet and lots of lightning this weekend, but everybody was out working the grids.
The family showing up at the search site helped buoy everyones spirits in spite of the weather.
Lightning up on Baldy finally forced the "H/O Relay guy" to hike out off the peak, so we lost some communications capability.
Hopefully the canine search today will give positive results."
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/26/2011, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hear they are going to search one more weekend, this coming weekend Aug. 27-28, and after that if they don't find him they plan to call it off. Very sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: