ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Partner(s) wanted - Mid -late Oct. 2011 Trip in Grand Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
tshimko

PostPosted: 7/24/2011, 5:42 pm    Post subject: Partner(s) wanted - Mid -late Oct. 2011 Trip in Grand Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

Seeking partner(s) - for a shortened version of my great 2009 Grand Canyon trip see: http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8377&highlight=

Since this will be in the fall (and thus no snow on road), will be able to start at the Monument Pt TH for a change, no road walk. Descend Bill Hall Trail to Surprise valley, and then go via either Deer or Tapeats Creek (and then return by the other), thence to Colorado River, upriver past Stone/Galloway, Bedrock, 128 Mile Creek. Return via same route and then Tapeats/Deer creek to TH. Hits the highlights of the 2009 trip with fairly modest off trail travel.

Impetus is to visit Bedrock creek. And to do a fall trip. Having walked along the river past Bedrock twice now, I had a chance this past March while on a GC raft trip to check out Bedrock...ran a few hundred yards up the drainage, climbed a very modest waterfall, to find that the narrow drainage opened up to a large valley. I saw enough to know I wanted to come back.

Great exploration up Stone/Galloway, Bedrock, another un-named side drainage, and 128 mile canyon. ALL offer incredible opportunity.

Start after mid October to avoid the hot season, the trip offers good water most of the way, with water to get into at the end of each day...I like to wash the dust, salt, sweat off, makes like so good. Maybe 8-10 days total.

I'm an experienced GC traveler, 61, strong, fit, green, live in the Pacific NW, and enjoy the GC.
Contact with interest. Tom
sunray

PostPosted: 7/25/2011, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

might be interested in hike, how many miles do you plan on each day, what is itenary dayhikes from camp or move camp most days. will drive out . I have all gear, funds and in shape to do this but like to see the beauty along the trail. Non smoker, married39 years and have done the corrador trail many times also hermit,tonto grandview and out. if sunray
tshimko

PostPosted: 7/25/2011, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Sunray
I too like to fit in rest days, i.e. not move camp, and then spend time checking out the area. Might have long first and last day, depends on whether a seep I know of along the esplanade is active in the Fall...I have only seen it in the Spring...I aim for water at end of day, preferably enough to get into, or at very least enough to pour over myself. Water on this trip falls into the get-into class.

I drive out as well. Most days are short...maybe 5-7 miles, sometimes less. But mostly off trail. For someone in good shape, and skilled in off-trail travel, it's pretty easy.

Some exposed but easy class 3 climbing, and less class 4 climbing but with less exposure. There is a long way around the climbing.

So, are you married 39 years or married, 39 years? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: