ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Amazing Photos of Arizona Wildfire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
KFarm

PostPosted: 6/10/2011, 9:08 am    Post subject: Amazing Photos of Arizona Wildfire Reply to topic Reply with quote

from Boston.com Big Picture. Not sure why all news sites don't provide such images.

PHOTO HERE

John Wayne
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/10/2011, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that link. I had seen the link before, but had not opened it. Very nice photos. I knew several of the people in the photos, one of them, Tom Hollender, I know as a fellow hiker and cross country skier, have been on quite a few day trips with him.
tkarint

PostPosted: 6/23/2011, 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

arizona transmission shops Hi KFarm,
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I've checked a dozen of sites for information on wildfires but never came across the site you shared.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/24/2011, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can now go see for yourself. I drove to Nutrioso and Alpine a couple of days ago. The two towns are looking pretty good, but with very scorched hills around them. Escudilla is totally torched. I mean, really really torched, whereas other areas are not. Along the highway you might not think it was much of a fire, since a lot of green forest still remains. South and east of Alpine the hills are torched.

I ran into the trail crew guy (I call him Myron the Muleskinner) up in Alpine, and asked him about Fish Creek and Bear Wallow Wilderness. He said Bear Wallow is not too bad, it's "patchy." Fish Creek, on the other hand (which I liked much better than Bear Wallow) is very torched except for the lower 1.5 miles close to the Black River. Sad He said also of that watershed below Hannagan to the west, that Horton Creek (not the one near Payson of course) Bear Creek, Willow Creek, and others also burned over very hot, crown fires. Of course, the concern now is for the watershed and fisheries. They are expecting a lot of erosion, debris flows, flooding, etc.

Today I might drive up to Greer and see what can be seen. The National Forest is still CLOSED. State lands are OPEN. Lakeside Ranger District is also CLOSED now.

There are plenty of places to hike on state lands such as the Game and Fish Department's Wenima Wildlife Area and White Mountains Grasslands Area. The Little Colorado River Gorge below Springerville is fun to explore and can be reached via Wenima Wildlife Area. Sunrise Ski Area is open.

The businesses in the White Mtns. are hurting and can use a little help from people who don't mind driving up and taking a looky-loo at the fire damage that can be seen from the highways (which is some but not a lot). Eat in a restaurant, stay in a motel or cabin, buy gas, buy a souvenir.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: