ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Water backpacking trip ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayhiker

PostPosted: 6/20/2011, 11:48 am    Post subject: Water backpacking trip ideas? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi! It's been quite a while since I've posted here. Ankle finally quasi-ready for backpacking -- I've done 9 easy trips since December!

I've been taking big groups of novices on trips to get them excited about backpacking. The formula has been to leave Mesa around 4 pm -- return to town the next afternoon. I'm looking for a backpacking trip with the following:
* Easy to access (under 2 hours from Mesa)
* Cooler temps
* Water (creek or pools)
* Short hike in -- well marked
* Scenic camping spot

We've been to Fossil Springs and West Clear Creek already.
Other places I'm considering:
* Box Canyon
* Horton Springs

More ideas? Is Chevelon Canyon a candidate? Appreciate your help in advance!
chihiggs

PostPosted: 6/20/2011, 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wet Beaver Creek Wilderness Area--Head up the 17--take the Sedona exit but head east instead of west. It is exactly 2 hours from my place in SE Gilbert. The only problem is that you have to get 1.5 miles past the "Crack" to camp. The crack is the cool ledge formations just NE of the creek crossing on the main trail in from the TH. I believe it may be the "Bell Trail" but you would want to double check it..

Enjoy and thanks for getting others interested Very Happy
rayhiker

PostPosted: 6/21/2011, 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the Bell Trail too -- was wondering how long it takes to get there from the East Valley. I will strongly consider this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: