ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
change of plans....heading to Phx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosechild

PostPosted: 3/16/2011, 3:52 pm    Post subject: change of plans....heading to Phx Reply to topic Reply with quote

hey all,

It's good to be back on here! Hubby and I were planning an 11-day hiking / camping trip through southern Utah and parks Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc. Long story short, circumstances will most likely find us in Phoenix instead. Are there any places between, say, northern AZ and Phx that are as spectacular as southern Utah? (besides the GC and Sedona of course...been there lots). We'll be driving in from Vegas in a rental (no off-roading I'm afraid!). Looking for suggestions of anything from dayhikes to spectacular drives to a several-day backpack. Something away from people, before we head into the concrete jungle. It's a little out of the way, but thinking I'd like to drive the Monument Valley Hwy (160 I believe). Other suggestions? Thanks all!
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 3/17/2011, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Paria, Buckskin Gulch, Wahweap hoodoos, Soap Creek, Cathedral Wash, Water Holes. Taylor Cabin.
If you go to M.V., look into Keet Seel, which is on the way.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
rosechild

PostPosted: 3/19/2011, 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good stuff! I see that Paria and Buckskin Gulch are part of the famous Wave. I'd heard of this fabled hike and would love to do it someday. I've also heard permits are near impossible; stories of people coming from all over the world just to try and secure a permit via lottery. Have you hiked The Wave? What are my chances of getting the lottery this time of year??

THANKS!!!
rosechild

PostPosted: 3/20/2011, 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oops....I meant what are my chances of getting a walk-in permit this time of year?
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 3/20/2011, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A photog friend of mine said they keep a few passes on re\eserve for first come first serve and be there EARLY! Check it out on line and give a call for more info. Haven't been there myself, b ut his photos are amazing ! Want to go!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/25/2011, 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

rosechild wrote:
Oops....I meant what are my chances of getting a walk-in permit this time of year?

I've never won the lottery online and I've entered it at least 1/2 a dozen times and the one day we did a walk-in (May 2005) we did win but there were only two slots open and three in our party. The place was packed by 8:00 AM. You can always try your luck though as a walk in. If you lose there is an alternate hike in Coyote Buttes South that's really pretty gorgeous but you need 4WD to get to the TH...otherwise you'll have to hike the additional in......PM me if you want this info.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/30/2011, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:

....... the one day we did a walk-in (May 2005) we did win but there were only two slots open and three in our party. The place was packed by 8:00 AM.

Don't even remind me about this ..... Rolling Eyes
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/30/2011, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know Sad I felt so bad and wished you and Suz would have gone......I could have hiked in Buckskin Gulch since both trails leave from Wire Pass TH and met you back at the vehicle later in the day.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: