ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GC river trip lottery--I won!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/26/2011, 2:37 pm    Post subject: GC river trip lottery--I won!!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, chalk it up to beginners luck. I put in for the lottery to get a private permit to raft the Grand Canyon in 2012. Some of you are probably familiar with the process. Anyway, newbies have 5 chances to win, whereas if you have been down the river recently you get only one chance. Anyway, I put in, and I won! My launch date is to be Sept. 20, 2012. I know, that's 19 months from now!

Well, I guess I will be talking about this from time to time. I have a main boatman already, and he'll invite some of his friends. There is room for a total of 16 people. It's a 21 day trip, with option to extend it beyond Diamond Creek to Pearce Ferry, to make it into closer to 30 days. Shared expenses, etc. We'll have more details as time goes on as to shared costs. There likely will be room for a few non-rowers.

I can't believe it! I'm already signed up for river guide school in May, so I hope to be learning something about how to do this over the next year and a half. I'm not too worried since I will have friends to help me with the logistics.

Right now I am trying to find a trip for THIS summer, using my 2012 permit as a bargaining chip. You let me on your 2011 trip, I'll let you on my 2012 trip. I'm available June 10-July 4 and again from July 13 to around Aug 10 or thereabouts. I also know a boatman with a raft who is interested. So, if you know anyone with a summer permit, pass this along, please.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/27/2011, 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congratulations Elizabeth !!

Sometimes good things happen and looks like you had one of those.
Should be an interesting trip for you. Glad you are getting a chance to do something you really wanted.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/27/2011, 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Woohoo! Yup, I am really looking forward to it!
Deborah

PostPosted: 3/1/2011, 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats Liz.
It sounds like things are looking up for you!
Enjoy the water, you will be a great river guide.
I really felt safe with you and your family last April on the Salt River.

Deborah
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/1/2011, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks, Deborah!

Hope to see you on the trail a bit this summer, too! I am too busy right now to go on your hikes!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 3/20/2011, 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, putting this to the top of the pile again, I am still looking for a summer trip for THIS summer, using my 2012 trip as a bargaining chip. So, if you hear of anyone who needs a passenger and a boatman (or just a passenger--me), for a 2011 June or July launch, please let me know. We may try to get in on a cancellation as well. Apparently there are often cancellations on private trips, sometimes at the very last minute. The Park Service will let the permit holder substitute one person for another up to the last day, as long as the new person pays an extra fee to the Park. However, the rules do NOT allow a private permit holder to add on a person at the last minute unless there has been a cancellation.

Whoever lets me on their trip can go on my trip. Of course, I will chip in funding and work, and would expect the same in return.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2011, 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Found not only a full summer private Grand Canyon trip to get in on, launching July 24, taking out Aug 10, but also a "Diamond Down" next week, for which I am earning 3 university credits via NAU Outdoors.

In case you are not familiar with "Diamond Down," it's that part of western Grand Canyon near the Hualapai Reservation (glass toilet seat overlook). "DD" requires a different permit. You put the rafts in at Diamond Creek, paying the Hualapais for use of their road. You also get a permit from the Park. You take out at Pierce Ferry, just above Lake Mead, where there is a road which was recently constructed. Below Pierce Ferry is Pierce Ferry Rapids, which has become close to unrunnable recently.

I'm taking "Intro to Multi-Day River Guiding" next week, from NAU Outdoor Recreation, and we're doing a 3-day Diamond Down as part of the class. Originally the instructor had told me we'd be doing the Verde and Salt, but they are both too low, (at least the parts he normally runs are too low.) The class is from Sat. to Thurs. We are learning how to plan, shop, pack, rig, de-rig, set up camp and kitchen, and cook. We'll be learning some other river lore and stories. But we won't be learning to row. They'll be using paddle rafts, so we'll paddle. I will start learning how to row on the July trip.

I went on my very first multi-day river trip this past weekend in Glen Canyon. I went with the ABC meetup group. We did the "backhaul" trip, where they take your kayaks from Lee's Ferry up to the dam and you float back down. We camped one night along the way. It was fun except for the wind. One of the very bad rented kayaks got completely swamped on the second day, and the poor guys had to swim. Very cold water! Moral of the story: don't rent your boats from that place by the side of the road in Flag. Rent them in Page.

Glen Canyon is gorgeous. It was the first time I had seen it, first time seeing the dam. It is heart wrenching, arriving at the dam, seeing the beautiful canyon destroyed by that ugly thing. I had read all the books, Edward Abbey, Katie Lee, etc., but had never been there.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/15/2011, 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Leaving today with the NAU class, to do the Diamond Down. See y'all on Thursday!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 5/16/2011, 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fantastic news on the win. a 30 day trip sounds awesome. Definite planning needed to make the most of it.

GTG
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/18/2011, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Probably will be more like 24 days, since the main permit is 21, and the D/D would be about 3 or so. Good thing I have some friends to help me with the planning. Just took a class in Multi Day River guiding, and I can use the info for private trip planning as well. Very good class. River trip was fun, too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: