ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cottonwood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/27/2011, 8:44 am    Post subject: Cottonwood Reply to topic Reply with quote

Will be spending a couple of days in Cottonwood in February, planning on some cycling, hiking and sightseeing. Setting up base camp at Dead Horse State Park. Shorter trip than usual but may try to extend my stay. Anyone know of interesting places to visit, please post.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/27/2011, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have you been on the train? It's fun. Not that cheap, not that fast, but it is still fun. It goes from Clarkdale up the Verde River. Best to go with a companion, I think, just to make it more fun. Verde Canyon Railway.
MaxPower

PostPosted: 1/27/2011, 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cycle up the steep switchbacks into Jerome and do the tourist thing in town. For more fun, continue on up the hill to top, then reverse and ride back down. Lots of photo ops along the route.

Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/28/2011, 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Planning on taking the Mtn. bike and exploring the area around Cottonwood. Picked up a 1998 Trek 520 Touring bicycle and rebuilding it. Had it powder coated Copper.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/28/2011, 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So, is that bike #10 now?

Wish I knew more about bikes. There is a class I can take via NAU--5 3 hour sessions at a local bike shop. However, I am just not inclined to spending time tinkering. It wouldn't hurt to know more, though. I can change a tire. But when my disc brakes get out of whack, even though I have an Allen wrench, I always get someone else to fix it. That sort of thing I think I could learn.

Maybe I will take that class next fall, though.
ck1

PostPosted: 2/3/2011, 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is a sweet loop ride within the park. It heads out from the north end of the campground on raptor hill trail (long slow uphill) the turns right onto thumper or thunder, the right again onto lime kiln. You end up south of the campground. There are a few drops and a wicked fast section on the backside. Some exposure at the end.

Tuizigoot (sp) NM is a neat place to walk around. Quick trip though.

DHRSP has a few "lakes" and the river runs through it so fishing is an option if interested.

Murphy's Grill in town serves Guiness and bar food. Can't beat the food at La Fonda just off the 17 though.

If you are camping, be prepared to love your neighbors, not much separates the campsites. The cabins are sweet though.

"The Journey is the Destination"
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/4/2011, 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've ridden that loop. It is nice. That park is nice in spring, along about March or so, when the river is up and the grass is green, before summer's heat.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/4/2011, 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

12 bikes and would like to do another project bike, something in green. Been on the Lime Kiln trail on a bike think that was the one that had a lot of boulders. Yep most of thhe state parks campground designs are not very good. In the past when at Dead Horse I tent camped at the South end of the older campground, trees for neighbors. This trip and like my previous trip will be staying in a cabin. Very good pizza in Camp Verde in the Bashas Plaza and some other places in Old town Cottonwood were very good.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/4/2011, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like Cottonwood, especially the old part of town. It is nice that a river runs through it, too! I am taking a kayaking class, and we will be going on the Verde after we learn some stuff first. Not sure where they put in but probably downstream from Camp Verde.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: