ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
AWC Mazatzal Service Project, Jan 15th - Volunteers Needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
aleahsato

PostPosted: 1/7/2011, 2:43 pm    Post subject: AWC Mazatzal Service Project, Jan 15th - Volunteers Needed! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Saturday, Jan. 15th—Mazatzal Wilderness Service Trip - Sheep's Bridge, Willow Springs Trail (269)

We will be partnering with Tonto National Forest - Cave Creek District, working on recording/monitoring damage to the area and the remediation of human impact sites near the Willow Springs Trail and Sheep Bridge.

Read the project descriptions carefully and let RSVP with your preference. Camping is available for those who wish to join us for a weekend-long adventure!

SATURDAY

Project 1: Sheep's Bridge Clean-Up
Description: We will be picking up trash and remediating wildcat trails above Sheep's Bridge, in the recreation area around the Verde River.
Difficulty: Easy
Daytime Needs: Sturdy boots or shoes, work gloves, 2+ liters of water, lunch and snacks, a hat, sunscreen.
Time and location: Meet at lot above Sheep's Bridge at 10am.

Project 2: Willow Springs Trail (269) Monitoring
Project requirements: good, study shoes, layers, 2+ liters of water, snacks and lunch, camera and GPS (both optional).
Project rating: moderate-strenuous; we will be covering a lot of ground, so you will need to be an experienced and swift hiker.
Time and Location: Meet in the Sheep's Bridge at 8am to get an early start in.

SUNDAY

We will be enjoying the day with a short hike and lunch before heading back to the city.

Directions
From Phoenix, drive north on I-17 to exit #223 and head east on the Carefree Highway. Turn left on Tom Darlington Dr. and follow it a few miles until it ends at Cave Creek Rd. where you'll turn right. Where the road splits, you'll see a sign for Bartlett Lake & Rangers Station to the right; you'll want to stay left (this is Forest Road 24). After 2 miles, you'll enter the Tonto National Forest. At the 4.5 mile point the pavement ends in a well graded dirt road. Continue winding along the road, at the 12 mile point you'll hit a short stretch of pavement as you enter the Seven Springs Recreation area. The road is more narrow and rough when it turns back to dirt on the other side of Seven Springs, but still passable by passenger car. At the thirty mile point, you'll reach a junction with FR 269 (also called Tangle Creek Rd.). Verde River is 12 miles to the right; go right. This road is quite rough and rocky, you'll need at least a high clearance vehicle to make it through. You'll go up and over a rocky hill and eventually begin dropping down to the river and bridge, which you'll reach at the 42 mile point. Park next to the bridge or up at the top of the hill (because the road leading down is difficult terrain).

I will try and arrange a carpool locale for those who want to come, but do not have the vehicle to make it in. Please email me if you are in need of a carpool or are willing to be a driver, or if you wish to RSVP and the project you're interested in: aleah@azwild.org

All the soarings of my mind begin in my blood.
Rainer Maria Rilke
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/9/2011, 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You folks need to check if you can access from the east side of sheep bridge.
aleahsato

PostPosted: 1/9/2011, 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was out there a few days ago with the Forest Service in 4wd trucks and the water in the Verde was too high to cross over to the FR that accesses Sheep's Bridge from the east, which is why I am not advising this route right now. Thanks.

All the soarings of my mind begin in my blood.
Rainer Maria Rilke
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 1/10/2011, 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I was working on cultural resource inventory we had access across it made it a lot easier to get to the area around the Sheep Bridge. Did not think about the runoff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: