ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cat Mtn., Little Cat Mtn. - 12.24.10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flatulent Elephant

PostPosted: 1/4/2011, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Cat Mtn., Little Cat Mtn. - 12.24.10 Reply to topic Reply with quote

On Christmas Eve we decided to check out Cat Mtn. & Little Cat Mtn., located @ the SE end of the Tucson Mtn. range.

Not sure how to get pictures to work on this forum, so this will be text only. I've posted this report on another hiker forum (w/pics) & can link to it if anyone shows interest. Very Happy

We started from the Sarasota TH reached via Ajo Way & Kinney Rd. The trail heads east & then curves northeasterly to the saddle between Cat & Lil' Cat. Several yrs. ago my mom & sis tried looking for a "ridge route" that my dad claimed existed, presumably heading from the saddle area up the west ridge. They nor we could spot anything obvious, so we continued on & turned right onto the Explorer Trail, scanning the north slopes of Cat along the way. @ some point we came across a cairn w/a heart-shaped rock, possibly indicating a route up. We almost took it, but it looked pretty brushy & appeared to be pretty steep higher up. So, we pressed on along the main trail & instead headed for a small saddle toward the eastern end of Cat. From that high point we weaved our way up the north slope, going between rock bands before finally popping out @ the base of the eastern edge of the summit block.

At this point there was a short scramble to gain the final summit ridge. There were a few different ways up so I picked the one I felt most comfortable with (there is some exposure) & clambered up. From there it was an easy walk along the narrow, somewhat exposed ridge line to the top. @ the top we found a solar powered radio thingy & lots of good sitting rocks.

We investigated the west end of the summit area, finding a big drop off & no good way down. More on the NW side there was a steep brushy gully marked w/cairns that may have led way down to the heart cairn, but we chose not to find out & instead headed back more or less the way we came. Wink

Back @ the main saddle, we walked up the eastern slope of Little Cat, being careful where we sat as the very highest rock appeared to be overhanging the abyss. Shocked We descended via the NW side, capturing a nice sunset along the way. Cool

Overall this was a nice little easy hike close to town that I would recommend to anyone wanting a quick getaway & who doesn't mind some off-trail travel! Razz
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/6/2011, 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't done Cat from this direction. I should try it sometime.
Flatulent Elephant

PostPosted: 1/6/2011, 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did you start out from the east side? You may have ended up @ the same place we did eventually for the last bit to the top. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: