ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Plateau Point, Grand Canyon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/13/2010, 6:11 am    Post subject: Plateau Point, Grand Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hiked the Bright Angel yesterday with my son and daughter, out to Plateau Point. So, chalk off one more South Rim trail I had not done, which was the Plateau Point Trail from the Tonto turnoff out to the point.

13.1 miles round trip.

It was a great day for the hike. Few tourists, thankfully. As most of you know, I generally avoid the BA and SK corridor like the plague. However, now that I am living in Flagstaff I will be able to day hike in the Canyon, just like yesterday! So, you will see me posting SK-Tonto-BA one of these days, since I have not hiked that section of Tonto. Also want to do Waldron-Dripping Springs and Shoshone Point.

Does anyone know if the section of Tonto that encircles Horseshoe Mesa can be done as a day hike from the rim? I can't seem to find any mileages for that loop. I guess I had better sit down with a guidebook and map.
MaxPower

PostPosted: 12/13/2010, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Plateau Point, Grand Canyon Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Does anyone know if the section of Tonto that encircles Horseshoe Mesa can be done as a day hike from the rim? I can't seem to find any mileages for that loop. I guess I had better sit down with a guidebook and map.

I have done this twice, but in sections. The first time I descended the west arm of the mesa and circled around to Cottonwood Creek, then back up via that route. The second trip was a descent to Page Spring, then looping around the mesa as far as the trail that goes up the west arm. An energetic hiker could do the entire loop in 1 trip, given an early start. The entire thing calculates out to about 13.5 miles, give or take a few tenths.

If you do it in pieces as I did, there are a couple of locations to be aware of. Ascending the west arm trail (commonly called Cave of the Domes trail), it's easy to miss the trail location from the Tonto. There is a steel rod in the ground just west of a small dry drainage crossing, and that's the location of the trail.

If you loop eastward, finding the trail up towards Page Springs can be a bit funky, but an easy shortcut is located just yards to the east of a significant tree right at one of the Hance Creek side drainages. There is a semi-faint track there that takes you up to the trail proper. It gets more well defined as you proceed uphill.

None of this is a big deal to anyone who's familiar with GC hiking...you won't have any problems. Water normally in Cottonwood Creek and reliably in Page Springs.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/14/2010, 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for that info! It would be a longish dayhike if the trails are rough, which I expect they are. I might do better and have more fun if I got a two night permit and either backpack the entire loop, or do it as a day hike starting from Horseshoe Mesa campsites. I have been to Horseshoe Mesa and Page Springs a couple of times, including approaching the area via New Hance-Tonto, so I am somewhat familiar with the east side.

Interestingly, over on HAZ there has been a big debate going on about some apparent misinformation printed in Backpacker Magazine regarding trail junctions in the HS area. And I notice that guidebook writer Ron Adkison's directions are very perfunctory "turn left, turn right" etc. and nothing about a steel rod in the ground. Someone likely has posted a GPS route as well. That could be helpful. Or not... Rolling Eyes
MaxPower

PostPosted: 12/14/2010, 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd seen that little "firestorm" of a debate! Laughing From my experience, the trail junctions, trail signage, and othe "ammenities" are about what you'd expect outside of the corridor trail area. Sometimes you just have to rely on a map, your intuition, and good old common sense. This isn't downtown Phoenix, with traffic lights and street signs. Half the fun is figuring out for yourself where you are and how to get around! Being spoonfed the directions from a magazine takes all of the pleasure out of it.

If you decide on a day hike and plan on doing a full or partial loop and are up for company, I have a fairly flexible hiking schedule. Being retired, I have plenty of time on my hands. Very Happy I've never minded going over the same area multiple times either. I don't get tired of Grand Canyon hiking, and can usually discover something new, even on a route where I've been before. I do have some GPS tracks...not sure if I've uploaded them to the HAZ website though. I think in that area, I have the eastern loop, Page Springs around to Cave of the Domes trail, but am still lacking the Cottonwood Creek loop.

Edited: OK I did post a GPS route to the HAZ site for the eastern half of the Horseshoe Mesa loop. http://hikearizona.com/location_g.php?GPS=9833
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/14/2010, 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, yes, thanks! I would be interested in having company on that loop (or partial, if we end up thinking it is too long.) I will get back to you about it in January. I have kind of a flexible schedule, since I am employed only part-time and go to college mostly online. Right now, Jan 8th and 9th look to be free, but I can sometimes do weekdays as well. Weather is a consideration, of course.

So, let's chat about coming up with a specific day after New Years, shall we? I will be in the White Mtns. for a couple of weeks, starting this Sunday.
MaxPower

PostPosted: 12/14/2010, 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sure, that all sounds good to me! The only January weekend that is already filled on my calendar is the 15th-16th as I'll be in Phoenix for the PF Chang marathon. Otherwise, I'm good to go just about any day. Usually I try to pick a hike based around decent weather. The western side of the mesa would be a good loop. Daylight hours are limited, but at least you don't have the excessive heat and worrying about carrying too much weight in water. Other things I have yet to do in the area are checking out the caves, and scrambling to the top of the butte on the mesa itself!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 12/14/2010, 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, sounds like a plan! Ok, back atcha in January. I keep hearing we may have a mild winter. (Only the old Navajo sheep camp folks are saying otherwise. We shall see who knows more about weather forecasting!)

A mild winter makes for good hiking, but lousy cross country skiing, and lousy river running in the spring, and a bad fire season in the summer... You just can't win, hoping for a mild winter...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: