ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) (5) (5)
User
beckett
azhiker96
tough_boots
Randal Schulhauser
User
Suz
tibber
desertgirl
Trishness
oliverr99
User
GTG
Tom Treks
Hikngrl
cabel
Thoreau
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:11 am    Post subject: Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe Reply with quote

Anyone want to help look for GPSJoe this coming Saturday and Sunday?
We'll plan on car camping in the area.

GTG

beckett

PostPosted: 11/23/2010, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I need to wait to see what my daughter's work schedule is but whenever I don't have to babysit, I plan to drive out that way. I'll post when I know when I'm heading out that way.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am planning on being up there sometime Fri and backpacking in to Thicket Spring area Fri/Sat/Sun stay and search some off trail mainly the east to southeast ridge/drainage/ areas as I can. I will try for the Mt Peeley TH but if too bad will go in on FR 25A. I put this up on HAZ , just an FYI most of ya'll know already----

Just a suggestion----reflective tape that would show in headlamp light would be good to mark a route. When you leave the trail write name time date on it when exit find your tape and write out time etc. Yes, it's unsightly but lets people know the general area you are in to prevent repeats and lets people know who you are and where you are. Then mark as needed, less of course if you have GPS. Remove all except access if you are convinced you did a thorough search..

I preach to the choir but bushwacking tips, really brutal stuff-- tight, thick clothing, small slim pack, knee and elbow pads for crawling and pushing aside branches, gloves, glasses for eye protection. Look for broken branches and scuffs for a fall line ( hard from below). In thick brush don't just look at the ground, items may be in upper branches.

Good luck all. I hope I can be there.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone who is able and planning on going to search, Please be careful and Stay safe.

Just wished I was better with wilderness and bushwacking. That comes with time and practice going out to gain that experience.

Letty I don't think you're preaching. Many Good thoughts.
Think that is a good Idea with the tape. Several of your thoughts crossed my mind too over the course of these days but wasn't sure if I was overthinking this not having as many experiences in this type of terrain. So many experienced hikers between here and HAZ have and are out there. Bless you Letty and Everyone else who is venturing in.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
beckett

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

RedRoxx44 wrote:

Just a suggestion----reflective tape that would show in headlamp light would be good to mark a route. When you leave the trail write name time date on it when exit find your tape and write out time etc. Yes, it's unsightly but lets people know the general area you are in to prevent repeats and lets people know who you are and where you are. Then mark as needed, less of course if you have GPS. Remove all except access if you are convinced you did a thorough search.

I had a roll of bright yellow ribbon in my pack, but I like the idea of the reflective tape.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have daily SAR operations for Joe stopped?

Hopefully they are still actively searching for him as Joe was known to have used other exits on previous attempts.

Imagine special dogs could be helpful in the search.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SAR stopped quite a few days ago, but a couple of the SAR guys are actively posting to try to let people know where they searched. If you don't see it here, follow the HAZ links, and vice versa.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for that news as I've seen no mention that SAR ops had ended-- after only a few days with a media blackout.

Word was SAR ops on Tues-Thurs and then they had to take Friday off... Sat they blocked most public access and were suppose to hit the area really hard?

So tragic.
tibber

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.paysonroundup.com/news/2010/nov/23/search-missing-hiker-called/

There are several of us headed out in the next couple days. See hikearizona.com forums:
http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5664
and
http://www.hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?t=5678
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If there is a group going out on Saturday I would be more than happy to help out in any way I can. As someone who hikes solo often I know the ordeal. PM me or just email me at ksvwbus@hotmail.com with details.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Suz

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My plans to search are limited to Friday right now. I will update when we return Friday night.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have to work Friday and Saturday but will hopefully see Suz tomorrow and give her what little equipment I have to aid in the search.

I pray y'all find Joe.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
thebrayer

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

suz, I'm planning on going to the Peeley trailhead on Friday to do a search on the Northwest to Northeast side of the trailhead. I will be going in on my ATV. If any of the goup here is able to help it would save a lot of time. I'm a TRSAR member and also a member of this and other online groups.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/24/2010, 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

are you saying you need a ride?
thebrayer

PostPosted: 11/25/2010, 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

no I'll be riding my atv into the trail head
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 11/25/2010, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Good luck to all those that will be searching for our friend. Be safe out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: