ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(4) (5) (5)
User
beckett
azhiker96
tough_boots
Randal Schulhauser
User
Suz
tibber
desertgirl
Trishness
oliverr99
User
GTG
Tom Treks
Hikngrl
cabel
Thoreau
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:11 am    Post subject: Search for Joe Domin GPSJoe Reply with quote

Anyone want to help look for GPSJoe this coming Saturday and Sunday?
We'll plan on car camping in the area.

GTG

Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I canceled my plans Sunday and would like to help in the S&R effort. Trying to swing a ride from the East Valley. Don't know the area at all but will be giving it my best effort.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
beckett

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Todd posted directions a few posts above. You're a strong hiker, Linda. Just do what you can do, you know it's all appreciated. Be sure to wear durable pants and long sleeves.
Tracy says that it may get wet and cold, so bring rain gear, warm hat, and gloves. Waterproof boots will be a plus if it get's really nasty.[/quote]

Thanks Tom...that's a big compliment coming from you. I'll come prepared. If any one needs a ride Saturday early, PM me.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be at the turn-off at 7am on Saturday too.

tough_boots wrote:
Tom, 7:00 at the turn-off sounds good to me.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sam_hikes wrote:
I'll be at the turn-off at 7am on Saturday too.

tough_boots wrote:
Tom, 7:00 at the turn-off sounds good to me.

Excellent.

Ya know, I wish I could have pitched in when I first heard about this, and I feel pretty guilty that I couldn't, but hopefully we can make a difference.
Times like this really make me hate my job, but life is reality.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just sent an email to you (Tom, Todd, Diane). Wasn't able to connect a few min ago. Have Radio's and GPSMAP 60CSx to offer for use. GPS never used though, don't know how much effort to set up and download tracks? I can bring to office tomorrow if that would work?

I'd like to join in also, if I can get someone to take my On-call for Sat or Sun. Won't know until tomorrow, lead is probably on plane heading back, but he'll be in tomorrow. I can ask first thing in morning.

Linda, Trish I'd be interested in carpooling if I can get off On-call?

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
beckett

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let me know Michelle. We'll pick a meeting spot if you can get off.

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
sbkelley

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just doing some brainstorming. I know the Peeley TH area will be pretty well-covered with SAR and volunteers.

In looking at the map of the area, I was considering maybe having tanya and I start up off FR 25, south of the Mt Peeley area (and lower), then working our way up the West Fork until we reach the base of Sheep Mtn. Then start looking around the drainages? Or possibly starting at Peeley and covering the trail down to Thicket Spring for the same reasons. I don't know, seems like "divide and conquer" may be good, too. then again, SAR may very well have done all this already.

I have a 60CSX and a set of 2-way radios. Sunday may be a more likely for me, but possibly Saturday too.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone is racking their brains for every thought that they can put together about where Joe could be.

if I hear back from the SAR contacts I will let you know and will check into the parking situation.

The sunday folks would like to meet you all around sunrise---let us know if you settle on a camping spot in advance otherwise we will plan for the Mt. Peeley TH. Trish and I are traveling together.

Looking at the weather and thinking about a muddy sunday exit on the roads....................

Here are a couple of questions:
1. did they check the vehicle to make sure there were no other fingerprints besides Joe's?
2. Do footprints near the vehicle match the thought that there was only one hiker?
3. Are we sure it was just a day hike? Was his backpack at home or do you know that JOE never did backpack trips? What did Joe typically take in his pack?
4. What are the chances that he left from this trailhead to hike something else? Is there something else worth hiking that would catch Joe's interest?
5. Could he have been doing some sort of a shuttle hike with this location as a finishing spot? Would someone else (non-hiker that's not reading the sites) have helped him with a drop off? Was anyone able to have access to his email prior to the hike to know if he was in contact with anyone about it? Cell phone, credit card records??? I'm sure SAR is doing all of that?
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm charging up the battery packs on my two radios. It looks like one of them may be toast but I have plenty of double As which will work as well. I'm guessing we can check with SAR for channel settings. Maybe we should use a different channel for ourselves and then switch to SAR channel if we find something to report.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have one radio that is old, old old.....but will get the AAA batteries for it and hope that it works. What channel is everyone going to be using? I'll be traveling with Susan on Sunday to the TH.

Trish

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Saw a mention of channel 15 as a suggestion over on HAZ

Re: Missing hiker in Mazatzals - gpsjoe (Joe Domin)

Postby Thoreau » Nov 18 2010 7:08 pm
Tough_Boots wrote:

Grasshopper wrote:only well prepared, equipped, seasoned hikers, and backpackers should consider some of the more serious off trail sections

I'll be there on Saturday for the day and definitely playing things safe. The last thing we need is to complicate this search with someone getting lost or hurt.

If i could suggest, it might be good for everyone who's planning on heading out there to have at least a basic GMRS/FRS radio either on their person, or with someone who is going to be in their group. If everyone planned to be on, say, channel 15, it could be helpful to relay information, call for assistance, etc. It's not perfect, but every little bit of extra safety would be prudent given the situation.

If there are any HAMs planning to go, we might want to coordinate frequencies in the 2m and 70cm bands as well (Not sure if any repeaters would be within range way out there. Even Mt. Ord seems to get blocked based on the maps I've seen.)
tough_boots

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

just got this on the HAZ thread. Does this change anyone's thoughts?

Quote:
"Hike AZ folks,
My name is David Bremson of Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Mountain Rescue/ Central Arizona Mountain Rescue Association. We are the primary team involved in the search for Joe (with outstanding assistance from Gila County/TRSAR).
It seems as though many of you would like to venture in to the area to search for Joe. Although we can not restrict you from doing so, please be aware of the following issues:
-As untrained searchers, it is likely that you could destroy any evidence of his presence by being in the area.
-The area is very challenging, do not go somewhere that is hazardous. We don't want anyone to get injured as this will delay the on-going search.
-If you do decide to search for him and you find him, please do not approach him or touch him or his equipment in any way. This will inhibit our ability to conduct an investigation in to the incident.
-If you do find him, contact the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office immediately and mark the location with your gps. Return to the trailhead and wait for a responding Deputy.
-I recommend that you wait until after the weekend as we will have many resources in the area and need access to the trailhead, which is very small and has limited parking. We also may need it to land our helicopter. If your vehicle is in the parking lot, we will not be able to use it.
It is great to see how close knit this community is and how you want to support a fellow hiker and his family. This would be a better place if everyone cared as much.
David Bremson
Mountain Rescue"
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Folks - Please be aware that this road turns soggy in place when its saturated. We got stuck when we headed up in Shawns 2WD vehicle to this TH and had to be towed out of where we got stuck - Just a small section but that was enough to send usinto the ditch
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 11/18/2010, 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tough_boots.

I can't even begin to say how these statements disturb me.

Trish

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/19/2010, 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As a current member of a SAR team in the White Mtns. I am not surprised about the statement from the SAR team member. Some of these guys are really good trackers and are looking for any kind of evidence they can find. They are also concerned since they do not know the capabilities of volunteers who show up, that there could end up being more lost hikers, hurt hikers, etc. I would bet that the Sheriff has the authority to close the area to all but official personnel, if he wants to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: