ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Dead Horse State Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 11/15/2010, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Dead Horse State Park Reply to topic Reply with quote

Planned camping trip of five days reduced to three and still wanted to visit the Upper Verde Valley. So I set up base camp in one of the cabins at Dead Horse. Single room cabins have a full bed and a bunk bed. Table and a couple of chairs. Electric to the cabin and it has a ceiling fan and a light. You supply your own bedding. Picked up a small electric heater and a coffee maker to heat up water. Pretty cool to stay in a log cabin and the cabin loop has its own restroom building with showers. No cooking in the cabin but you are allowed a coffee maker so I used it to heat up water for cocoa and oatmeal. Walked the trails including at night, dried leaves rustling in the wind startled me a couple of times expecting something that escaped from Out of Africa to bolt from the brush. Great area for mtn. biking and will take one of the bikes next trip.
beckett

PostPosted: 11/16/2010, 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a great get-away!

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/16/2010, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have mountain biked one loop there. Very nice area, I thought, and a great place to escape the mountain cold in winter. Thanks for the tip regarding the cabins. Sounds fun!
ck1

PostPosted: 11/16/2010, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've camped and ridden there a few times. Some great trails but also some technical sections.

"The Journey is the Destination"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: