ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
DATE CHANGE: Workday to keep ATVers out of Baldy Wilderness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/20/2010, 10:33 am    Post subject: DATE CHANGE: Workday to keep ATVers out of Baldy Wilderness. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just received this notice from White Mountain Conservation League:

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/309585/7bede0ed3d/34/2f7328fbc8/

Help with Installation of an ATV-Proof Gate

The Forest Service – Springerville Ranger District is seeking volunteers to assist in reconstruction of a barbed wire fence near the Mount Baldy Wilderness boundary to restrict motor vehicle access. The fence is located in the Burro Mountain area (FR8037) and has not been maintained in many years due to the absence of livestock. Due to the poor condition, motorized users have cut and/or removed the fence and have built a user-created road that enters the Wilderness.

The workday will consist of reconstruction and/or relocation of the barbed wire fence and installation of an ATV-proof walk-thru gate for hikers and equestrian use.

The Forest Service will provide all the fence materials, hard hats, leather gloves and District personnel to work with the volunteers.

Volunteers will provide lunch, water, safety glasses, long sleeved shirt, long pants, sturdy work boots and their own transportation to the worksite.

Work will begin at 9am on Saturday, October 16, 2010 at Burro Mountain. Directions to the worksite are as follows: From Eagar travel west on SH260 to the junction of SH261. Travel south on SH261 to the junction of SH273. Travel west on SH273 to the junction of FR8037. Travel south on FR8037 to the sign that directs you to the worksite west of FR8037. Please see enclosed map.

Any questions please contact Barbara Romero or Vicente Ordonez at the Springerville Ranger District (928) 333-4372.

Visit us on Facebook for more timely updates on wolves, forest planning and travel management, and Woodland Lake Park!
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/20/2010, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh, they're building a gate. When I read the title I thought I should show up with a baseball bat or maybe a firearm. Visions of the OK corral. Wink
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/20/2010, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
oh, they're building a gate. When I read the title I thought I should show up with a baseball bat or maybe a firearm. Visions of the OK corral. Wink

Well, you can bring whatever you think will work! Very Happy
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/8/2010, 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This event is coming up soon, it is on Sat. Oct 16. One of the organizers, Dave Holaway, just emailed me to say there are only 4 people signed up for it. I have posted it here and on another hiking website. Not sure what else I can do. People from Phoenix visit Baldy in droves. Will no one help with this project?

Here is updated info on it: http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/3095 ... f7328fbc8/
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/12/2010, 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Forest Service has changed the date for this event and sent out this message:

We decided to cancel the workday on Saturday, October 16 and reschedule for Wednesday October 20 as a Ranger District workday. You and any members of the conservation league are most welcome to join us on the 20th. There is an urgent need to begin and complete the project this year considering the wilderness intrusion that occurred this summer.

We will leave Springerville at 8:00am on the 20th and arrive at Burro Mountain by 9:00am. With all the district employees present, we should complete all the work in one day.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 10/13/2010, 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth, unfortunately the activity is competing with the AMC Basic class....Lots of us are involved in that.

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/13/2010, 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, and now they have it on a Wednesday, apparently so they can get more FS personnel. I guess most of the WMCL are retired people, so they can probably join in. But I am not going to be there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: