ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
MoonTrail Online Store

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 8/5/2010, 11:37 am    Post subject: MoonTrail Online Store Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone made a purchase from the MoonTrail website? I'm looking at making a purchase from them in the near future and wanted to see if anyone had experience with them.

What's interesting about MoonTrail is that on certain items, they give you "Bonus Points" which can be used to purchase "Bonus Items". For instance, you can get a Black Diamond Spot Headlamp with 1-watt LED and 3 Superbright LEDS for 24 Bonus Points or MSR Ground Hog II Tent Stakes for 1 point each. There's a list of several hundred name-brand items to choose from at varying point levels.

If you don't have enough Bonus Points to purchase an item, you can buy more at $1 or $2, depending upon how much you've spent on your initial purchase.

Anyway, I was just hoping that some of our Gearaholic friends out there have had experiences with them and wouldn't mind passing along pertinent info.

Thanks!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 8/5/2010, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes I have and they are a great site to work with. I had tried to make a deal on buying a high priced item with another online retailer who was one of the two who had what I needed and was repeatedly told no. They would not budge. I took my business to Moontrail and those bonus points really worked. You don't have to choose from that list either because they have a way of letting you use them for anything. I got the combination that I wanted at the price I had tried to wrangle at the other place. In the end I saved 80 bucks with them.

If you get hung up on how to do the points on something that is not on the list, just call them. They will get you through it.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/5/2010, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, there's BoynhisDog! I snooped, dude, and you have been posting an average of once a month. Hope it will be more often... Smile
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 8/15/2010, 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Glenn! The item I'm looking at is the same price EVERYWHERE, but with Moontrail you get 95 points to "buy" other stuff! I've a list of several items that would normally cost on the order of $200.00!!!

I didn't know that you could use points on everything at the store. The list they show has a LOT of items but being able to get anything in the store is outstanding! I'll now have to go through the site and find stuff that I want to get with points that could replace lesser-needed items on my list.

Thanks again for passing along your experience with them!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 8/17/2010, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I called them on the phone to negotiate Ken. That is how I found out that you can use the points for anything. That was a few years ago so you will have to double check but I bet they will do it for you. I had to set up an account, add the items to my cart and then there was a way to use the points toward the purchase. Something to click on I think but don't remember in detail.

I had called the other vendor too and after trying various angles to negotiate with them they congratulated me on my persistence but would not help me. Moonstone saved the day. They were the only two vendors in the US who had the items available.

95 points will help you out a bunch.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 8/18/2010, 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I called Moontrail about an item and was immediately given a point-equivalent. Not all items can be given a point value but most can. In the case of the item that I was interested in, it didn't seem like the number of points required made it a good enough deal so I ended up purchasing the item for the same price as I could purchase it at other locations... and received 5 more points!

Another pleasant surprise was that they don't stiff you on shipping like some online retailers. They do charge shipping on the items that were purchased with points, but since they ship all of the items in the same package, the only charge was for the additional weight over the weight of the purchased items. In my case, that came out to $3.86!

You can buy additional points, up to 20% of the number of points you earned through your purchases. These points cost $1.00. In my case, I could buy 20 extra $1.00 points. If you want to purchase more, they are $2.00 each.

I placed the order on Monday morning and the package was with UPS by Monday afternoon. It'll be at my door tomorrow (Thursday).

So, here's a breakdown of just how incredible this turned out... The extra items that I ordered using points came to $216.00 worth of merchandise!

The list of items that I bought with points (I did purchase 20 extra at $1.00 each) is :
Black Diamond-620595PERL Spot headlamp $0.00
Salamander Gaiters $0.00
Snow Peak Titanium single-wall cup 600 FH $0.00
Brunton My-Ti titanium folding spoon and fork set $0.00
OR Ultralight Dry Sack 35L $0.00
OR Ultralight Dry Sack 15L $0.00
OR Ultralight Dry Sack 5L $0.00
MSR Ultralight Needle Stake, red finish $0.00
Hilleberg Guy line (25 meters) 3mm $0.00
MSR Ground Hog II $0.00

I have to say, I've not run into a purchasing experience quite like this one before. I'll report back after the items arrive to follow up on the rest of the transaction.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/18/2010, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Ken... you did good. I've got to mark this one. Who knows what I Think I will need or probably actually do? Shocked

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 8/19/2010, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just unpacked the box from Moontrail and, just as hoped for, everything was there, except one item, and in store-shelf condition (all packaging was as you would find it at REI, etc.). The missing item was the titanium folding fork and spoon. I called and talked to Steven at Moontrail. He confirmed the order and said the item would be shipped out tomorrow.

All around, an excellent experience...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: