ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Lynx in the Superstitions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/29/2010, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Lynx in the Superstitions. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deanda and I did a short hike from First Water TH to Garden Valley this evening. On the way we spotted 3 lynx, one large and two small, lounging on a sand bar in a drainage. The little ones dashed into some rocks while the larger one (maybe mom) sat and watched us as we passed.

We were also treated to a beautiful Arizona sunset on our hike back out.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That trail is also good for nighthikeing, did you visit Hackberry Springs ? Very cool sighting.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No, we started our hike about 6pm, as SSAR was getting ready to go out again. We just went to the old ruins at the Second Water/Black Mesa trail junction and then came back out. It is a great trail for a full moon hike.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, you are calling them lynx, but aren't they the same as bobcats? Aren't bobcats and lynx subspecies of one another? The northern lynx is slightly bigger, has a black-tipped tail, whereas bobcat has a white-tipped tail. Lynx have larger feet, for the snow. Their fur is a bit different, too.

From what I can find out on the internet, they may interbreed where their ranges overlap. Then, people are calling them "blynx." However, I doubt there are lynx OR blynx in Arizona.

PHOTOS??
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

As we were heading out Deanda asked if I had the camera. I said "No, so that means we are guaranteed to see something really cool." We did.

Bobcats (Lynx rufus) and Lynx (Lynx lynx) are closely related. Passed within about 80 feet of these three and were able to get a good look at the mom as she studied us. Her coloration and tufts of hair from her ears looked like this example, http://www.naturfoto-cz.de/lynx:lynx-lynx-photo-783.html

Perhaps they were bobcats with long tufts of black hair from their ears. I know where they were and suspect there may be a den nearby so I'll try to get back out with our camera to get some shots. The mom was probably about 30 pounds and the two kittens were about the size of chihuahuas.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So, maybe also look for coloration of tail tip.

We have ocelot, apparently, and jaguar. Why not lynx? Or blynx?

And how about jaguarundi. Now THAT is a cool-lookin' cat!

wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/2/2010, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, so close and Momma just watched. Beautiful cats though.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: