ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Flagstaff fires and flooding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/28/2010, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Flagstaff fires and flooding Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've only been back to Flagstaff once since I left Arizona in 2004. The area I grew up in is along hwy 89 in the Fern Wood estates area north of Flagstaff. It was difficult hearing the news about Timberline being evacuated because of the Shultz Pass Fire. Then my parents were on standby for evacuation for about a week in Fern Wood. It was unnerving to think the area I grew up in might go down in flames. Although, it was a relief to find out when all said and done no buildings were damaged. My dad told me that the next thing he was worried about was flooding. And it came with a vengeance! He said that he knew it would happen but didn't think it would be that bad. The Peaks got 3.5 inches of rain in 2 hours. Many houses have been damaged by the flood that came through the area, fortunately, their house was not damaged. It's strange seeing the photos and video footage taken of the area I grew up in. Much of the blackened area's on the Peaks have been washed down into the neighborhoods below and have stained the soil. My dad say's, "it smells like soot everywhere now." They had to fortify there property, digging trenches and preparing for the next flood.
I'm hoping to go back to Flagstaff in November. It's going to be strange seeing black mountains and seeing the flood damage everywhere. I just hope there flood-proofing holds up and I have a place to go and visit in a few months.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 7/28/2010, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, doesn't seem like you have been gone 6 years already. Hope all goes well for your folks. The moonsoons have been brutal in that neck of the woods, maybe things will settle down a bit.

Made a quick trip to Colorada last weekend and bagged Blanca and Idyllwood Friday and Culebra on Saturday.

Take care!
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/31/2010, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, it's crazy to think that I have been out of AZ for 6 years and out of Flagstaff for 8 years. Definitely loving the Rockies. I have not been able to get into the Sangres, but would love to.
This year I decided to make it up Democrat Lincoln and Bross. Also I did a second hike up Sherman. Took my wife, this was her 1st 14er and took my son on my back. That was really difficult taking him up a 14er. It was nice doing some 14ers this year, as I usually stay to the 12ers and 13ers.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: