ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sweep riders needed for Tour of White Mtns. Oct 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/25/2010, 6:34 am    Post subject: Sweep riders needed for Tour of White Mtns. Oct 2 Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am going to ride sweep on the 35-miler for Epic Rides/Show Low Bluff Tour of the White Mountains, a mountain bike race in Show Low. Sat, October 2, but you have to come up the night before and camp or motel. Camping is at venue.

I need someone else who is a pretty good rider to ride with me, since at least 2 sweeps are needed. You don't have to be a super-duper technical rider, but you do have to be able to ride 35 miles of single-track! So, fitness level HIGH, technical ability MODERATE.

The 35-mile part of this race has been totally altered over the past few years and is now mostly single-track. It used to be mostly FS roads.

Volunteers get fed, they also get a t-shirt and some swag. Camping is at the venue, and there is live music at night.

Two really good riders are also needed for the 60+ mile part of the race. (Fitness level RIDICULOUS, technical level ADVANCED.) There is also a 10-mile race on the Panorama Trail, but I was not told if they need sweeps for that one.

Please pm me and I will give you the email address of the volunteer coordinator, plus my bike email address. (Yes, I have a special bike email address.) TRACKS hiking club does the volunteering for this race. A part of the entry fees generally go back into the community, for the hospital.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/25/2010, 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like a sweep rider also needed for the easy 10 mile run as well. Any takers on the easy ride?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 7/26/2010, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, but working.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/27/2010, 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, well, rats.

Also I was just told, they are going to need pin flaggers.

This race is partly a benefit for Summit hospital, so that is why so many volunteers. Unfortunately, it is no longer run by the parks and rec dept. They have Epic Rides, a race company, put the race on. So it no longer has that home town feel to it. It has the big venue of a big race--loud music, etc.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/30/2010, 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last I heard, they still needed a sweeper for the 10 mile ride, which is on the Panorama Trail. This would be easy to train for, if you are not up for the longer ride.

They also still need the pinflaggers. I don't know if the pinflaggers get the free food, t-shirt and swag.

PM me for details.

RACE INFO IF YOU WANT TO RACE: http://www.epicrides.com/towm/towm.htm

TRACKS may also need other, non-riding, volunteers. Info on TRACKS, Pinetop-lakeside hiking club: http://www.tracks-pinetop-lakeside.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: