ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Paradise Fire near Hannagan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/24/2010, 5:25 am    Post subject: Paradise Fire near Hannagan Reply to topic Reply with quote

June 24, 2010: Due to Paradise Fire, please be aware not to plan any hikes in the near future on the following trails southeast of 191 near Hannagan: Horse Ridge, P-bar Lake, Grant Creek, all of Foote Creek, Steeple Creek, KP Creek. Closure goes ALL THE WAY down to Blue River Road, and the other road boundary is Hwy 191.

Trails that are NOT CLOSED in the area include Bear Wallow Wilderness, Chitty Falls, Fish Creek, Bear Creek, Mainstem Black River.

See inciweb to keep up with information on this fire. http://inciweb.org/incident/1990/

Call Alpine Ranger District for more hiking information: 928-339-5000.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/26/2010, 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You may have heard that 191 was closed. Well, it was, but there was an easy detour, AND it has re-opened now. They closed it to give the firefighters a place to work. I would guess they were doing a backburn.

I will find out soon enough what it looks like along 191 since I am leaving in an hour to meet some friends down in that area for an overnight backpacking trip. (Not in the closed area, of course, but fairly close by.)
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/27/2010, 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got back from backpacking in Bear Wallow Wilderness. Since there was heavy rain a couple of days ago, the area is damp and there was NO smoke at all in Bear Wallow. Very green, in fact, with a lot of wildflowers.

There are still a LOT of personnel on that fire, whose vehicles were parked along 191 north of Hannagan, when we were driving back to Alpine this morning.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/27/2010, 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

During my recent trip noted at least a dozen hot shot crews. One crew was at the Springerville Ranger Station. Noted several crews heading west of Showlow last sunday. At the airport in Showlow you could observe the smoke plume of the fire in Flagstaff.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/27/2010, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There were a lot of crews, notably helitak and/or hotshots from Boise, at the Paradise Fire this a.m. I expect they really want to get it mopped up so they can move on. The forecast is for thunderstorms daily. When I arrived back in Eagar at 10:30 a.m. (after hiking from our campsite at the intersection of Bear Wallow Trail and Schell Canyon Trail--it sure is nice to live nearby!) it was starting to rain, and has been cloudy all day.

And get this, we have a fire going in our fireplace, and the heat on in the bedroom, too! Smile
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/29/2010, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another fire ..Yikes watched news on this one but it didn't register in my brain just where. That is a beautiful area.
Nice to live close to be able to go out like that someplace near by.

A fire in the fireplace ...oooh nice. I like fireplaces, don't have one of my own Sad sounds wonderful... what were the temps there?

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/29/2010, 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have no idea what the temps were but there was heat build-up before the storm, and then the sudden drop and dampness.

Today it poured for awhile, but it's sunny again now.

I predict that Tropical Storm/Hurricane Alex will not only cause the expected flooding in Matamoros and Brownsville, but will also drive moisture into Arizona. I just don't know when--hope it doesn't mess up our fireworks on Saturday night! I am thinking it will hit here Sunday or Monday.

So, I have made my prediction, let's see how it plays out... Mr. Green
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/29/2010, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey you might have a new career there Laughing A weather gal, get on TV and do funny stuff telling the weather... Just a thought

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: