ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bryce, Zion, Zion, Zion, and home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azhiker96

PostPosted: 5/8/2010, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Bryce, Zion, Zion, Zion, and home Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last Sunday Deanda and I loaded up the motorcycle (2008 Electraglide) and set off for our anniversary trip. We headed up towards Payson to avoid construction on 17 and enjoy better scenery. As we passed the Matazals a dark bank of clouds to the North seems to be too close for comfort so I pulled over and we put on rainsuits over our leathers. A mile further up the road we hit rain. As we entered Payson, lightning cracked overhead and the rain turned to sleet, then snow with light hail. We filled up with gas and spent some time in a KFC eating and pondering our choices. Within an hour a blue hole appeared to the North so we hopped on the bike and drove on into Flagstaff where we got a hotel room for the night.
The following day was uneventful as we drove through Page up and the around to Bryce. We got a campsite, setup our tent and cooked supper. There were huge patches of snow though and it was a very cold night as our luggage only had room for our summer bags and it dipped into the high 20s that night. The next morning we took some pictures at the lookouts and then headed to Zion.
At Zion the campgrounds were full but we did manage to get a piece of a group camp spot A2 that had not been reserved. We shared it with a Brit who was doing a bicycle tour and another solo young guy doing his own tour of the national parks by car. We reserved a single campsite C13 for the next day and had a much warmer night than the first. The views from C13 are amazing. Let me say, Zion is a cool place. They have free shuttles to the trailheads, free shuttles to town, spring water on tap, great views, and hikes with exposure. I will be back.
Our second day at Zion we did the classic hike, Angel's landing. Deanda did not finish the hike. She hung out at a saddle just above Walter's wiggles and before the chains began. I continued the hike. The views were amazing. The wind gusts were a little disconcerting. Pictures will be up later today. We finished with the paved river walk. The river itself was closed due to high flows but I wasn't really prepared for canyoneering anyway. As we hit camp we asked for a spot for the next night and got one on the opposite end of campground D. It turned out to be the best spot of all, D33. It had different views of the cliffs and very little traffic.
The next day we moved our campsite once again and then hiked to all 3 of the emerald pools. We found a nice shady spot at the third pool to share a lunch of baguette, sliced hard salami, smoked sharp cheddar, and apples. It was a fun place for a lunch. Once we got back to camp, Deanda took a nap while I did a short hike to the foundation of an old grainary. I continued that hike along goat paths and found an old rock wall which was about 150 feet long, parallel to and just below the crest of the mesa. I don't know who built it but some of the rocks would have required 3-4 determined men to wrestle into place.
On Friday, we bid farewell to Zion and traveled back to Arizona planning on getting a motel room for a shower and to catch up on the news. As we passed the San Fransisco peaks we wondered if the smoke was a wildfire or prescribed burn. In Flagstaff we found it was graduation weekend and all the motels had jacked their rates to double the usual. Passing through Camp Verde we stopped at Old Town Inn, a western themed motel near the East end of town and right by a general store that sold liquor, groceries, fishing bait, lottery cards, livestock food, flowers and vegetable plants, and hunting licenses. We had a nice stay there and then an uneventful ride home on Saturday morning.
The total trip was 1100 miles on the motorcycle with only two nights spent in motels and the rest camping. Pictures up later today.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/8/2010, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looking forward to your pictures. I know the place in Camp Verde, neat little community.
beckett

PostPosted: 5/9/2010, 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a wonderful adventure! So happy you two were able to share it together!

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/10/2010, 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Happy Anniversary !

Sounds like a grand adventure and a wonderful way to spend your anniversary Very Happy
Glad you had a good time and enjoyed some time away to do something you both enjoy

Looking forward to seeing your pics...

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2010, 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds fun! It wouldn't be a real adventure if you didn't shiver a little in your sleeping bags! Mr. Green
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/14/2010, 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pictures George. Looks like neat place. I enjoyed that look down with the feet. Gives you perspective of just where you've gone.

I think you got the how you look when falling down pretty good Laughing Just don't do that though!
Thanks for sharing.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
threedogz

PostPosted: 5/14/2010, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pictures George! I am going to do that trail next time I get out there.
threedogz

PostPosted: 5/14/2010, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you like it or not George...Here it is...

Congratulations to George for passing the Peri-Anesthesia Nursing Certification test.

A lot of hard work and devotion goes into something like this, and George achieved this while already taking classes and working full time. Wow!

When nurses achieve certification in their specialty, it makes health care a better and safer place for all. George is currently enrolled in the bachelors of science in nursing (BSN) as well. Statistics show that there is less mortality in the hospital when nurses are BSN prepared.
Laughing Very Happy
azhiker96

PostPosted: 5/14/2010, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

LOL, thanks Heidi. It was a lot of work. I didn't mention that I was studying every day of our trip too. Some folks take hiking/outdoor books for light reading when they camp. I was reading/working scenarios, meds, etc.
Suz

PostPosted: 5/16/2010, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Congrats on the certification and the anniversary Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: