ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Shaman’s Gallery!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/2/2010, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Shaman’s Gallery! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last weekend Todd and I went to the North Rim for my annual birthday hike. It was a trip to remember! We took Friday off work and headed north with the day. It was our intention to camp at the TH and start our hike early the next morning. As it turned out we got as far as Jacob Lake and it was snowing and blowing and raining and it was cold and I chickened out! I really didn’t want to camp under those circumstances so we decided to get a room Friday night and finish the drive to the TH in the morning. We decided to go on to Fredonia though to save the extra 45 minute drive in the morning.
Now the little motel we stayed in is a story in and of its self. I will not post the name of the hotel because the sweet little people who run it would be devastated to see that I am trashing their motel to the world so suffice it to say that the select few of you that read this just be aware, I would not spend the night in Fredonia if I were you…. Stop in Jacob Lake! It is worth the extra 45 minute drive
The drive from Phoenix to the TH is at least a nine hour drive all told with the last few hours of it being on a funky road that requires high clearance. On the day we were driving it did not require 4 wheel drive but I am sure there are days when it does. The hike in took only two hours (that includes picture taking time and exploration). The hike out being approximately from Esplanade level of the Canyon took us two hours as well. Keep in mind I am bad at the uphill and the Canyon always kicks my butt on the way up and out.
The hike was awesome! So much to see, so much to discover. From the reports we read we were able to find the landmarks and remnants we were looking for and truly enjoyed the hike. You can actually see the gallery from early on in the hike you just don’t know that that is what you are seeing until you get much closer. It is a short easy hike and the payoff is amazing!
When you arrive at the gallery you can see it from ground level but to get a good look at everything you need to climb up a few feet to actually enter the over hung area. We will post pictures so you can see the art work as there is no way to accurately describe what you are blessed enough to be in the midst of when you are standing there.
For quite some time the where abouts of the gallery were kept as secret as possible. When you go and read the names scratched into the antiquated art work you will understand why. I just cannot understand the need that some people have to deface such an awesome piece of history by scratching their names in the middle of the whole thing. Who could be that important? Not even the original artists did that! Come on people! Respect!
We spent about an hour and a half to two hours there. We climbed back out of the overhang to have lunch then climbed back up to look around some more and take some more pictures. I was disappointed in the fact that the register seems to have been taken or at least hidden to the point that it is useless. If you can’t find it you can’t sign it!
The hike out was pleasant and we arrived back at the TH by 4 something and drove back out of the park to public land and camped in a sweet little spot that could accommodate a group if needed. We spent the evening relaxing and discussing our hike. No need for camp fire lies this night cause there were only two of us there and we both knew what happened all day! We awoke to sunshine the next morning and again there was not need to hang around dawdling trying to find the right time to say good bye as we were going home together so we had our coffee and packed the truck and drove back to Jacob Lake for breakfast and headed home.
It was an awesome weekend! If you get the chance to make this trip do not think twice about the drive. It is well worth it!

It is Todd's responsibility to post the pictures so blame him if they are not posted soon! angel

I want to shine!
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/2/2010, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

During my visits I have noted some panels that left me with a very strong sense of awe. At times as I wander about the desert and sleep beneath the stars, the panels dance in my dreams. Beckoning me to return to desert canyon of the high plateau.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/3/2010, 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Friday nite weather didn't sound too promising but seems that the rest of the weekend was good.

Sounds like you had a nice trip and you saw all that you intended to see and it was worth it. I'll be waiting for the pictures.

I don't understand the need for the defacing of the rocks either. Don't get what that is all about. Some are just clueless I guess Crying or Very sad

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 5/3/2010, 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds great. On my "must see" list. I didn't realize it was that long a drive. I might combine it with a Tuweap trip and take a longer weekend. Glad it was such a fun trip and looking forward to the photos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: