ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
GPS Worth Watching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 3/18/2010, 8:28 am    Post subject: GPS Worth Watching Reply to topic Reply with quote

Put the new Delorme PN-60 on your watch llist.

This is something I thought would happen in the GPS world and Delorme is the first to do it. Much praise to them for doing it. I always stand ready to switch and if I become convinced this is a great product I will do it.

Delorme historically is a mapping company. They have also been doing GPS for a while but Garmin is the leader in the GPS field so far. In many ways Delorme mapping products have superior features to maps sold by Garmin.

The Delorme PN-40 has an impressive processor/antenna combination and handles up to 10 tracks each with up to 10,000 (not 500) track points. That is a wow!! The major complaints I have read about this product is the lack of user friendliness in the software. There is too much of a learning curve needed to use Delorme topo for most people. That software needs to be slickified.

Since I have not used this model I am not sure about certain characteristics like the quality of the display in the field, especially the readability of highly accurate tracks that I might download so I can accurately navigate a hike or backpack. On the Garmin 60CSX I can color my downloaded tracks red, blue or magenta and they stand out well on the 60CSX display. This simple feature is a deal breaker for me. If it is not there I will not consider a GPS no matter what else it does.

Here is why I am excited about the potential of the PN-60.

Delorme has built in a SPOT device that will enable you to send text messages from anywhere you get satellite reception (or just about anywhere except some canyons and other unusual situations where signals are blocked). That will enable anyone to send custom emergency messages or OK messages or I am having a baby in the Grand Canyon messages or any message from anywhere you get a satellite signal and the message will include your exact location. That truly is exciting and is the way of the future. So get on board and at least watch the developments here. Garmin and Magellan just got a kick in the butt and it won’t be too long before they also offer such a product. Or I will be a goner from their fan crowd.

Now I am sure the PN-60 will be pricey and the text messaging via satellite service will have an annual subscription fee as well. So let’s watch developments here unless you are loaded with money and can afford these bobbles. Few of us are.

See http://www.delorme.com//about/pressreleases/SPOTcommunicator.htm
Sun Ray

PostPosted: 3/19/2010, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

With SPOT having an annual fee, this unit with texting included looks like a good deal.
Sun Ray

PostPosted: 3/19/2010, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Guess I should have read ALL of Joe's note before replying as I see there is an annual fee.........But it's a 2 in one unit (GPS & SPOT) one less thing to carry.
CannondaleKid

PostPosted: 3/19/2010, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just replaced the Garmin GPS-MAP 76C I've had for 6 years with the new GPS-MAP 76CSx. Both are promoted as "marine" hand held GPS's. I was very happy with the 76C, but eventually with the beating it took on my mountain bike it started to cut out, so I looked for something along the same line.

The 76CSx has the capability for 20 tracks each with up to 10,000 points, so that tops the wow factor you mentioned about the Delorme unit by 2x. I like the SD card capability as well as the features the old one had... waterproof, it floats, 256 color 160x240 screen, automatic routing, electronic compass, barometric altimeter, geocache friendly, hunt/fish calendar, sun and moon information, tide tables, area calculation, custom points-of-interest and the length of time it lasts on one set of AA's.

Some people may skip looking into this model because it is designed as a marine unit, but in my opinion this is the best all-around GPS from Garmin. No, I'm not into the walkie-talkie types or the SPOT, or other units.

Frankly any extra cost whether it be annual or monthly is something I'm not willing to shell out. Yes, I paid a lot for my first GPS as well as this one, but over 6 years, 5,000 miles of mountain biking with it on my handlebars and 1200+ miles hiking with it, I felt it was well worth the cost.
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 3/20/2010, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The 76CSX is a fine GPS no doubt. It can record up to 10,000 track points in the active track log but all saved tracks are limited to 500 points and when you download a track from your computer to the GPS it must be 500 points or less unless you download to the active track log (there is a way of doing that).

But the features of the new Delorme GPS of significance is the ability to send emergency text messages via satellite from areas where cell phone coverage is not available. We often find ourselves in that situation and should an emergency arise the text messaging capability has the potential of savings lives - yours, mine, our hiking friends or a complete stranger in trouble. While backpacking to Mount Whitney a hiker had a heart attack on the trail. Fortunate for him a passerby was carrying a satellite phone. In a very short time the chopper was on the scene and he got medical care very quickly.

So, I am excited about the possibility having a communications device of this type. I do believe that there will be more innovation in this area and I have little doubt that 10 years or so from now this capability will be common place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: