ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Park Closures... Lost Dutchman, Picacho & Others...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vashti

PostPosted: 1/12/2010, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Park Closures... Lost Dutchman, Picacho & Others... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone have any more information on the possible closing of The Lost Dutchman state park, Picacho Peak, Red Rock and other state parks? I heard Boyce Thompson might be in danger, as well. I am shocked!! I cannot imagine not being able to go to these places!! :O

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/11/20100111arizona-park-closures.html

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/04/20100104park-closings-ON.html

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 1/12/2010, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

According to this article, Boyce will remain open with "alternative funders":

http://www.svherald.com/content/2010/01/12/proposed-plans-arizona-state-parks
Deborah

PostPosted: 1/13/2010, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, we could have a few bake sells, as well as an option on our state taxes to donate some of our tax $ to state parks. Of course, I should run for Governor too!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/13/2010, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Homolovi is of utmost concern, due to the fact it could be destroyed by looters very quickly.

Check out HAZ, some of us are forming a posse! (Well, probably not, but the security issue at that park is a very big concern.)

The water at Lyman lake is owned by the St. Johns Irrigation District. Not sure if there will be any accessibility. But stealth kayaking kind of appeals to me...
Vashti

PostPosted: 1/14/2010, 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Please sign the petition to help keep our AZ state parks open!!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/save-arizona-state-parks

Also, here is some information from Boyce Thompson - they will stay open for sure, just lose some funding:

Boyce Thompson will remain open and not close regardless of what happens to the state park system. With that being said, let me say that we will endeavor to remain part of the state park system as long as Arizona has one. We are operated through the cooperation of Arizona State Parks , the University of Arizona and the Boyce Thompson Arboretum 501 (c ) 3. The current proposal is to eliminate our funding from state parks for the remainder of this year or about 5% of our total operating budget. Although the loss of that funding hurts, we remain open based on the strong support of our members, gift shop sales, admissions and donations, which account for 90% of our budget.

State Parks has been a loyal partner since 1977 and we count on them for many or our capital needs. Keeping the park system whole and vibrant is important to us and the State of Arizona . As this is a political process, there are several avenues in which your voice can be heard.

Let me know if you have any further questions. The worst thing for us, since we depend upon visitation, is for people to think we are closed.

Sincerely,

Mark Siegwarth
Executive Director

ESCAPE the CUBE!!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/18/2010, 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a travesty! Does anyone have any ideas on what we could do as a cohesive group to stop the closures or at least postpone them?

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/18/2010, 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sierra Club is sponsoring a rally, not sure when but soon I believe. I think I saw it on HAZ.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/18/2010, 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Shawn

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
KFarm

PostPosted: 1/19/2010, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Arizona State Parks website has a list of all the park closings and when they will close.

John Wayne
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 3/3/2010, 6:12 pm    Post subject: AZ State Park Closures ~ Apache Junction Board Meeting 3/17! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Next Board Meeting March 17, 2010, at Apache Junction City Council Chambers

Arizona State Parks keeps 9 Parks Open, 13 More Will Close.

The Arizona State Parks Board on January 15 voted to keep nine parks open and close the remaining thirteen State Parks in a phased series of closures starting February 22, 2010 due to six different State Parks funds being swept of $8.6 million. In addition, four parks remain closed due to previous budget reductions.

Parks closed on February 22 included Lyman Lake State Park and Homolovi Ruins State Park.

The next park closings will occur on March 29, 2010 and will include Fort Verde State Historic Park in Camp Verde, Roper Lake State Park in Safford, Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park, Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park, Tubac Presidio State Historic Park, and Riordan Mansion State Historic Park in Flagstaff.

The final phased closings will occur on June 3, 2010 and will include Tonto Natural Bridge State Park near Payson, Alamo Lake State Park in Wenden, Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction, Picacho Peak State Park and Red Rock State Park in Sedona.

The nine parks that will remain open are ones that generate the most revenue back into the parks operating revolving funds. The parks that will remain open include Buckskin Mountain State Park in Parker, Catalina State Park near Tucson, Cattail Cove State Park in Lake Havasu City, Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, Fool Hollow Lake Recreation Area in Show Low, Kartchner Caverns State Park in Benson, Lake Havasu State Park, Patagonia Lake State Park and Slide Rock State Park in Sedona.

The remaining parks will continue their agreements with other entities or will be passively managed by an adjacent park. These include Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park in Superior, Sonoita Creek State Natural Area, Verde River Greenway State Natural Area and Yuma Quartermaster Depot State Historic Park.

Four parks would remain closed. These include Jerome State Historic Park, McFarland State Historic Park in Florence, Oracle State Park, and San Rafael State Natural Area.

For more information about the 27 State Parks, statewide hiking opportunities, off-highway vehicle trails, and other outdoor recreational and cultural opportunities in Arizona, call (602) 542-4174 (outside of the Phoenix metro area call toll-free 800-285-3703) or visit AZStateParks.com. Follow us on twitter.com/AZStateParks.
[/b]

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: