ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
New Tires for the X-Terra
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/27/2010, 3:12 pm    Post subject: New Tires for the X-Terra Reply to topic Reply with quote

My 2007 X-Terra is in need of new tires already. I have BF Goodrich radial long trails on now which are crap in my opinion so I won't be buying those as replacements. Been looking at the Big Foot All-Terrain by Big-O and also Hankook ATMs and was wondering if anyone has either of these and how they are. Or what tires you have that you are happy with.

If I'm going to spend big bucks on tires I want to get something decent. Oh and I'm 2WD not 4WD but do a lot of driving on forest roads.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 2/27/2010, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd stay away from the Bigfoots, even the guys at Big-O would tell you that, they wear quick. There are 2 tires i'd get. 1. If you are willing to spend big bucks get the BFG AT KO's. 2. If you want great tires for not as much, the Yokohama AT-S are great. I have them on my Cherokee now and have done some rugged driving and they show no signs of wear yet. They handle well at higher speeds and the grip is great going uphill off road.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/27/2010, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, the guys at Big-O were trying to sell me these....50K tires, 3 year warranty no matter what. My dad got Big Foot tires for his custom F-350 years ago and loved them with the exceptoon of some road noise. I'm staying away from the BF Goodrich since the tires I now have suck. (sorry to be so blunt). I'll check out the Yokohamas too.

Thanks for your feedback!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/28/2010, 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think there is a big difference between the BFG Long Terrains and the All Terrain KO's, but understand that the last set of BFG's pissed you off.

If money wasn't the deciding factor I would go for Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's. But those will probably be $200 a piece for the tire alone.

I would consider some General Grabber AT 2's, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors for a little better road but some off road ability in there as well.

Yokohama Geolander AT's may be worth looking at too.

This site has reviews that may help. With tires you get what you pay for sometimes though.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/AT-All_Terrains.htm

Give us a like on Facebook too please!
http://www.facebook.com/jdombstravels
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 2/28/2010, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Tim. It's always nice to hear what others have used/experienced and what they liked. My tires are p265/70R-16 so they won't be cheap by any means. Yokohamas are abut $200 each also. Even the Big-O Big Foots are $190 each but they are willing to give me a discount of about 35% and not charge me tax. Just will continue looking & pricing around.

Mr. Green

CannondaleKid

PostPosted: 3/2/2010, 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yup, I agree on the Big O Big Foot. I had something tossed under my car that caught between the suspension and right rear tire which make a nice circular slice all around the inside of the tire. I thought, ok, I have the guaranteed replacement, but unfortunately the size I had was discontinued... all these new tall tire/wheels now. Not being able to come up with a replacement, I knew I had to buy 4 tires, although I had over 60% of the tread still there.
After 6 more stops at different tire shops I gave up for a few days, running on the original spare (not a mini spare, just original size tire) even though it was smaller in diameter than the rest.

A couple days later I was driving along McKellips by Recker and noticed Red Mountain Tire & Auto, a place I'd driven by many times but had never "noticed" previously. I stopped in there with my litany of seeking the right tire. With a true confidence Jason said "this will be your last stop." And thankfully he was right! It took some digging and they have to get them the next day, but we came up with the best deal. Oh yeah, now I can't remember the exact tire... Road King AT something.
We had looked at them, the Goodyear Wranglers and BFG Long Trails, but what Jason said really made sense. He said that with the off-roading I do, I'll tear up a sidewall or simply ruin a tire well before the tread will wear out, so it makes little sense to buy the "best" ("expensive") tires.

So I got the ones most reasonable and was out last Saturday with them and absolutely loved them! More grip than the Big O's were when new, much more responsive, and best of all had much tougher sidewalls. (I cut one of the Big O's easily last year in the same place where I drove on Saturday and all there was this time were scuff marks on the sidewalls)

I can't vouch for the tires in your size Trish, because my CR-V has only 15" rims, and the vehicle itself was never intended what I've been doing or where I've taken it, but so far I'm happy with the tires I got @ Red Mountain Tire.

FYI, they are independent so they can get almost any tire, and coincidentally Kim's (the owner with husband Todd) family started Big O tires and she has been in the business for 30 years.
Sun Ray

PostPosted: 3/2/2010, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm on my second Ford F-150 and have been pleased with Bridgestone Dueler A/T as replacement tires. I want a tire that is quiet on the highway and these are. I became aware of them when I noticed them on a lot of trucks. They were also the recommended tire at my local Fletchers Tire Store. Good luck... so my choices!
CannondaleKid

PostPosted: 3/2/2010, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just looked at my tires to get the correct name... Sport King A/T (Not Road King), however (keeping in mind Sun Ray's comment about road noise) they may be a bit more aggressive than you want. For me tire noise or a harsher ride are of little concern, I'm willing to trade both for a tough tire with plenty of grip.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 3/2/2010, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions. I was told to check out Performance Tire in Mesa and will also check out Red Mountain Tire. The more I'm hearing on The Big-O Big Foot the more second thoughts I'm having about purchasing them (road noise, tire wear and soft sidewalls). I don't need them immediately but have to purchase within the next two months before I leave for a big road trip to Utah, Colorado and New Mexico.

Mr. Green

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 3/3/2010, 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree that BFGs totally suck. I've had two vehicles in a row that came with them, and both sets were the noisiest pieces of crap I've ever had. Replaced the last set with a decent amount of tread still left.

I have always searched down the "best deals" for auto parts, but this time I went with one of the "best rated" tires. I'm glad I did and have been very happy so far.

Michelin LTX A/T2 from Discount Tire. They are $186 a piece for your size but well worth it in my opinion. Great traction for an on/off tire but the best part is they are extremely quiet on the road. I have had them for almost a year now and they don't show much, if any, wear at all.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/michelin/product/submitProductSize.do?r=AFHINT%7Cpc%7C85215&pc=34866
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 3/3/2010, 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Costco carries Michelin, you might check prices there.
ghoster

PostPosted: 3/3/2010, 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I bought Pirelli ATR Scorpions for my truck and it really made a difference in the ride. I bought them online from Discounttiredirect.com. Free shipping!! Then had them mounted for a decent price. These were the cheapest way to get a really good tire and a deal on them too, it came out much cheaper when figured out. Eliminates the middle man price hike. But that worked for me, others might not like to do this.
KFarm

PostPosted: 3/3/2010, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If I had a choice for an all around tire for off-roading by far it would be the BFGoodrich AllTerrain TAs. Although pricey they offer triple ply side wall protection and an awesome tread pattern. There is no comparison between the BFG Trails as these are OEM tires and as we know all OEM tires suck, unless you buy a Jeep Rubicon as they come with BFG MT which is an awesome offroad tire but not the best on road.

Like you I find my self needing to buy tires for my Dodge Ram 1500. Not wanting to fork out +1K in tires, I've been looking for alternatives. I am now steering towards getting some Cooper Zeon LTZ as I have heard good things about the tire and they are in a price range I am willing to spend. The cheapest I have found is a Sears. Although they do not have this model in your size they to have some good offerings. Check them out and do some research.

Sears Tires

John Wayne
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/4/2010, 5:47 am    Post subject: tires Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've had the BFG Trails tires as well. Worked for me since they came with the truck. Next set was Michelins from Costco. They did great and yes the set cost about $600.00 + and those were cheap tires and I think I got $60.00 during one of their Michelin special deals they run. My current set of tires is a Cooper Courser AWT which I have been told is a decent tire although they're not super quiet.

One thing to remember is that the best tires in the world will not wear well unless rotated properly and on schedule.

GTG
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 3/6/2010, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

For what it's worth, from the November 2009 issue of Consumer Reports magazine:

Best all-season tires for pickups and SUVs:
General Grabber HTS
Continental CrossContact LX

Best all-terrain truck/SUV tires:
Pirelli Scorpion ATR
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: