ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Adventures in Death Valley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 2/22/2010, 9:10 am    Post subject: Adventures in Death Valley Reply to topic Reply with quote

I just got back from a 9 day – 8 night stay in Death Valley with hiking friend Hank (aka Grasshopper).

We left town on February 11 and stayed one night at the historic Amargosa Hotel and Opera House. The following 7 nights we stayed at a room at Furnace Creek Ranch.

I have posted 11 photo albums on Webshots and these will show up at the top of the list of my albums there. These are best viewed by click on the album, then “next” or “previous” and select full size on the right only for those that look interesting.

For a couple of months before the trip, Hank buried himself in the book Hiking Death Valley by Michel Digonnet. This is the bible of hiking in Death Valley. So thanks to Hank our hikes were well planned out including GPS waypoints for all hikes that Hank also provided. We had no spare time. Every day was an action packed adventure. Below is a day by day quick summary.

Thursday, Feb 11 – Arrived at Amargosa Hotel & Opera House and did a walk about nearby.

Friday, Feb 12 – Did ½ day hike into Slit Canyon followed by a ½ day 4WD drive into Echo Canyon and a hike in the Inyo Mine complex and out another mile to the Furnace Mine.

Saturday, Feb 13 – Joined by Randy S. and friend Mike we did a 4WD and 7 mile RT hike into Lower Marble Canyon.

Sunday, Feb 14 – Did a 5.2 mile RT hike to Ubehebe Peak. This is unquestionably a 5 star hike that I would give 6 stars if I could. A real WOW hike. I was having dinner at the Ranch when I was tapped on the shoulder by GB (aka Sun_Hiker) who decided to join us at the last minute. That was a pleasant surprise.

Monday, Feb 15 - Hank, GB and myself did a 4WD to Chloride Cliffs and hiked down to the Big Bell Mine which is a very impressive mining complex with plenty of equipment and mine adits. Access to the Keane Wonder mine is currently closed so we went in from the top to access Big Bell.

Tuesday, Feb 16 – Hank and I did a hike up Ashford Canyon to the mine and beyond. GB did her own hike in a couple of canyons that day and had to return home the next day because of a family emergency.

Wednesday, Feb 17 – Hank and I hiked into Red Wall Canyon. We hiked 2.3 miles to get to the canyon plus 3.1 miles into the canyon. We could not have done that if it were not for an installed rope at the 25 foot dry waterfall about a mile in. You are not supposed to use other people’s ropes but we did at our own risk and we are still here I think. I remember Letty’s write-up on this canyon from a few years back. Pictures are included in my photo set.

Thursday, Feb 18 – Did a long 4WD and about 7 miles of hiking in Trail Canyon (with mistakes) and visited 2 mining camps there. The 4WD is the limit for my stock 4Runner. Heard a couple of thuds but sustained no damage along the way.

Friday, Feb 19 – Checked out, toured the Borax museum and drove the entire Black Water road on the way out after a very physical and most enjoyable week in Death Valley.

I lost count but I know that I shot more than 1,500 photos that will allow me to relive this trip over and over again. What a blast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: