ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Sleeping bag?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/12/2010, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Sleeping bag? Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Kelty 20 degree light stalker sleeping bag from the Sportsman's warehouse? Its about $90 for the long one and i cant afford much more.

Ive been trying to find a light weight sleeping bag for backpacking that would be wide enough for me and i can't stand mummy bags. I can not afford a high priced one so if anyone has any suggestions on one for someone 6'2" and one that's 36" or wider and pretty light weight please let me know.

~ Carpe Diem ~
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/13/2010, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Teton celsius XL 20 Degree bag?

~ Carpe Diem ~
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/13/2010, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did have a Kelty light year sleeping bag that seemed to be good quality, but i upgraded shortly after I got it.

I don't really know about widths too much, I hate mummy bags as well, but usually end up using them as a blanket with just my feet tucked in.

Finding a wide, long and lightweight bag <$100 is going to be a difficult task.

This is wide and long, requires a sleeping pad as bottom insulation, is close to your price range but by know means light by my standards. I'm not sure how much those other bags are weighing that your considering.

http://www.rei.com/product/798609

Give us a like on Facebook too please!
http://www.facebook.com/jdombstravels
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/13/2010, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The kelty light stalker was 3lbs 13oz for the 20 degree long one and 4lbs 13oz for the 0 degree long one and the Teton was 7lbs.

Unlike the other kelty ones i noticed the light stalker had like almost no padding/ insulation for the back. It was supper thin. The other one was very nice but very heavy.

~ Carpe Diem ~
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/13/2010, 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

From what I could tell the Teton is pretty much a car camping bag, is that what your looking for? If thats the case you should have no problem finding one.

I hate mummy bags to, but like I said I just tuck my feet in and use it as a blanket, I usually have a silk type liner 90% of the time anyways so it's not like I have skin on sleeping pad contact. Has worked great for me down to the 20's with a 15 degree bag. If you can make that work you can shave a good 1lb off a backpacking bag. Even at 3#13oz is more than I would like to carry for a backpack. That's just in my opinion.

Give us a like on Facebook too please!
http://www.facebook.com/jdombstravels
oliverr99

PostPosted: 2/14/2010, 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What about the Sierra Designs, I have used those, but they are mummy style. Just something to look into. REI has them on sale.
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/14/2010, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nah im mostly trying to find one for short backpacking trips.

Hopefully one of these days soon ill be able to go to REI and check out some of their sleeping bags.

Ill see if i can fit in the ALPS Mountaineering Desert Pine +20 Sleeping Bag - Wide bag.

It kinda sucks not being able to look at better more expensive bags and gear but its either go cheaper or don't go at all for me. Maybe someday ill be able to afford some better gear.

Ya i looked at them on the website but they are a bit to narrow for me. As it is its a pain, kinda uncomfortable and i can barely zip up a 36" bag. Plus i also have to try to find a kinda cheap sleeping pad to.

~ Carpe Diem ~
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 2/16/2010, 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you look on craigslist - some deals can often be found.
In cooler weather, having less space inside the bag is actually a benefit, as that's the space you need to heat. Of course this is 'within reason'.
I'd recommend an REI bag over Slumberjack, Kelty, etc. by a wide margin; when you wake up freezing at 3:30 AM, you won't be remembering how much money you saved.
Check on REI-Outlet - the items there are not in the store, but can be shipped into the store for free.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 2/16/2010, 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

don't forget about good ol' ebay, i've bought and sold some good gear on there

Kerouac
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/16/2010, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Every once in a while i have checked on Craigslist and i e-mailed that guy about the sleeping bag but he hasn't told me how wide it is yet.

Its not exactly about money saved but more like lack of funds in the first place and with a lack of income that means i have a lot less to spend unfortunately.

~ Carpe Diem ~
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/16/2010, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heres a few i would like to take a look at.

The
ArcticShield® -20º Mummy Sleeping Bag
ArcticShield® 0º Mummy Sleeping Bag
and
ArcticShield® -20º Rectangular Sleeping Bag
From bass pro

and
Mountain Hardwear Pinole +20 Sleeping Bag - Long
Mountain Hardwear Switch +20 Sleeping Bag - Long
From REI

Has anyone tried any of those? Or has anyone tried either of those brands?

~ Carpe Diem ~
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/16/2010, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What temperature bag are you looking for? I have two, a NF windstorm 35 degree bag for summer and a MH Lamina 0 degree bag. The Lamina is very warm but the NF is lighter so I use it when I can get away with it. I use them both open, like a quilt, with a BA pad under me. I've had the windstorm for several years, bought it at REI. The Lamina I saw at a killer price on steep and cheap. I forget what I paid but I'm sure it was under a bill. I'd suggest keeping an eye on steepandcheap and when you see something interesting, do some quick online research and then grab it if it looks good. I don't check steepandcheap anymore. It's too tempting......must resist....the urge. Whew, they're selling a woman's fleece beanie that I don't need. Dodged that bullet!
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 2/17/2010, 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mountain hardwear is a good brand, spent a comfy night in one of their bags once

Kerouac
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/17/2010, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Probably a 20 to 30 degree bag depending on how much space is inside. Ive looked at the NorthFace bags online but they are all to narrow/slim for me and so are all the air pads ive seen.

REI has the dimensions for the Mountain Hardwear Pinole bag i wanted to look at wrong on their website so im glad i looked at the manufacturers website first.

Lol luckily i cant be that tempted, i keep almost nothing in my bank account just enough for about a half tank of gas if need be.

~ Carpe Diem ~
WildCard

PostPosted: 2/18/2010, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Also what pack do you all think would be better for a 2 Nighter?

Kelty Coyote 4750
or
Kelty Redwing 3100

~ Carpe Diem ~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: