ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Caver dies, cave closed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azhiker96

PostPosted: 11/28/2009, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Caver dies, cave closed. Reply to topic Reply with quote

Caver dies in Utah cave

I'm sorry the guy died but saddened that the cave has been closed. Imagine if they closed mountains because people died there (Everest). I wonder if anyone has a tap on what the spelunking community thinks.
Deborah

PostPosted: 11/29/2009, 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well the guy was stuck so I guess they couldn't endanger others to get his remains out.
It's kind of sad that people who should think twice before doing things ruin places.
It's like the lady who fell in our hiking club 12 years ago who didn't listen to the belayer and ruined rope climing for SAHC.
Suz

PostPosted: 11/30/2009, 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's a horribly sad story with a very awful ending. I wondered the same thing about closing mountains --like camelback, the Supes, heck even South Mountain....but I'm glad I'm not the one being asked to make the decision, too. Tough call to make.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/30/2009, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sad ending. Eventually his remains can be got out & then the cave should be opened back up. If informed folks get in there -- its a choice you make much akin to other choice you make. Until then its his final resting place. RIP.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 11/30/2009, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Having "talked" to another caver via email who has been in this cave and looking at the NSS chat boards it's a hard and sad thing for this young man and his family. The passage sounds small but is doable by lots of cavers of small size. The problem was the bend and angle. My instinct would have been to lasso his feet and pull out and deal with broken bones, dislocations later. I am sure all was done possible. One of the risks you take in that situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: