ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Body found believed to be missing hiker in the Superstitions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 9/15/2009, 10:42 pm    Post subject: Body found believed to be missing hiker in the Superstitions Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/southeastvalley/apachejunction/story/Official-Search-crews-locate-body-possibly/KIx1vz_ZPEKc6VfViXj2_g.cspx

The article says they found his body 200 yards from his motorcycle....so sad.

A few of us spent the weekend with some of the wonderful volunteers from the Superstition Search and Rescue. Some of the SSAR people didn't make it to the AMC event because they were busy with this particular search. The volunteers we spoke with on Saturday were fairly certain what the unfortunate outcome would be based on the amount of time that had passed since this man had gone missing. I'm glad that they finally found him but it certainly makes me wonder what happened, how did they miss his body......had he been there since Thursday afternoon?

One SSAR guy said in 3 months he had rescued 11 people......thank goodness for these hard working, relentless volunteers.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/17/2009, 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a sad story. Home for a vacation and took a hike. Sad.
As you said thanks to the SAR and those who volunteer for situations like this.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/17/2009, 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Makes me wonder, though, if he was only 200 yards from his motorcycle. Wonder what actually happened?
desertgirl

PostPosted: 9/17/2009, 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like thereis friction between SAR & Pinal county Sad
azhiker96

PostPosted: 9/18/2009, 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

On the news they said a preliminary report of heart attack. I'm guessing he was off trail too, maybe short cutting back to his motorcycle. If he paused to rest under a bush/tree that would have made it tough for a helicopter to spot him.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 9/21/2009, 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like a feud, visit: www.ajnews.com for cover story and www.goldcanyontoday.com and check out the forum
Suz

PostPosted: 10/18/2009, 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Got the update from the SSAR guys about the current conflict status/resolution. Pinal County will be forming their own Search and Rescue Posse to begin work 12/1/09. They will use SSAR until that time. After that they will no longer use SSAR but are encouraging the SSAR guys to join/apply for the PC SAR posse.

The SSAR guys aren't sure that they like this and haven't decided what they will do.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/18/2009, 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:

The SSAR guys aren't sure that they like this and haven't decided what they will do.
they know exactly what they want to do. an unanimous vote was in favor of remaining seperate from the sherrif's posse SAR.

what i do
Suz

PostPosted: 10/18/2009, 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

whoa......sounds like you were at the meeting. I didn't hear that there was a unanimous vote. I just got my info via a phone chat with a member.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/18/2009, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

nope, i wasnt there. but i do know some people who know some people. like this one gal Suz. we've met. yeah, she's cool. totally cool.

what i do
Suz

PostPosted: 10/18/2009, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

LOL! Nice back-pedal job there.

I didn't want to post too much about the specifics in the phone conversation I had for obvious reasons. I hadn't seen the article so thanks to the person that PM'd that to me.

I think we have to wait and see what happens when the first rescue happens after Dec 1st......sure hope the outcome is a positive one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: