ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Is the down turn affecting your hiking ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the down turn affecting your hiking ?
Not much -- I still get out when I want
72%
 72%  [ 42 ]
Some -- I think twice before I head out
15%
 15%  [ 9 ]
Significantly -- I look for low cost / no cost / near options
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Major -- I am not getting out much
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 58

fairweather8588

PostPosted: 7/23/2009, 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
It cost me $138 to register my daughter @ Cactus High yesterday. Seems like that's what I paid my first semester @ NAU.

Just wait til college, a single book alone will cost $138. I had a friend who spent over $1100 on books alone last semester

Kerouac
oliverr99

PostPosted: 7/23/2009, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Unless you go to Amazon.com, which is what I did for graduate school. You can find cheaper books there, if they have the books!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/24/2009, 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

fairweather8588 wrote:
kurthzone wrote:
It cost me $138 to register my daughter @ Cactus High yesterday. Seems like that's what I paid my first semester @ NAU.

Just wait til college, a single book alone will cost $138. I had a friend who spent over $1100 on books alone last semester

Well, to continue about my kids, my daughter graduated from NAU in May. She got herself through school with the state fee waiver (good grades in high school), Pell grants, other grants, student loans and working. She always had a job. We paid her car insurance, that's all we could afford to help her with--she also paid off her car while going to college and now it's paid off. College is definitely do-able, if the student is determined. I think they come out a stronger person anyway, than if Mommy and Daddy paid for everything.

$1100 I can believe--a girl stole my daughter's $200 physics textbook off the porch of her apartment, when it was delivered by Fed Ex. (The girl was then able to sell it to the bookstore.) I think especially the sciences and engineering, the texts are very expensive. It's a total shameless ripoff by the publishing companies, of course, but that's another topic.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/25/2009, 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Back to topic:

One interesting thing you can do if you're on a budget is to take one of your favorite topo maps, something nearest your home, and really explore the areas on it. All the creeks, canyons, peaks, mesas, whatever is on there. You probably already know the trails, so head off-trail for a new view. (Also there will be fewer people, if it's a crowded area.) Most areas in Arizona do permit off-trail travel as long as you do not cause damage. Some areas have very sensitive plants and geology, and perhaps should not be trampled. Other areas, however, will show little or no trace of your passing and your tracks will be gone with the wind or next rainstorm.
SedonaSmilin

PostPosted: 10/12/2009, 5:14 pm    Post subject: Not affecting me- Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree with azbackpacker.

There is so much to see locally, just about anywhere in AZ.

It is a great way to get away from people, even in Sedona. The tourists flock to certain areas, and a turn off a main trail to fiollow a side canyon, or a drainage...you'd be surprised to see what you can find back in some of the side canyons in sedona. great stuff and no tourists.

I have found that there is more for me to do locally(in AZ) than I will have time to see in my lifetime.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 10/12/2009, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

To paraphrase Thoreau, "I have traveled far in Arizona." Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: