ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mapsource US 24k Southwest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
AK

PostPosted: 9/15/2009, 5:59 pm    Post subject: Mapsource US 24k Southwest Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone has this software and how you like it. Thinking of purchasing it for my 60CSx. Does it show true 24k on your gps? Gotta be better than the 100k on Topo 2008.

"Can't think of a good signature quote". - Me
windymesa

PostPosted: 10/6/2009, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The SW stuff is really good..especially in the Oregon touchscreen Garmin.. nice shaded relief that you can turn on or off, and althought the 100k has been good.... it works great with the Oregon. The Oregon comes with the 100k loaded in for the entire country, and when you add the 24k... the 100k outside of the 24k ara still is there.. because they hae two different file image file names.. one for the 100k, one for the SW24K map. I loaded into the GPSMap 76, and you do not see the shaded relief... probably same for the 60CSx. Don't know if I would spend 100 bucks on it for the 60Csx or GPSmap76.... but would for the Oregon. You can purchase micro SD cards for the Oregon, and load all 4 states into the Oregon onto the card, but it takes about 8 to 12 hours to create the image and download it into the Oregon... less time for smaller areas. The map size is limitied by the Mapsource's 4MB limit on map size image. We have an 8 MB cards, but this extra 4 MB can be used for pictures (Oregon has a camera in some models). The SW24K seems to have more point data and more detailed roads with more labels. My GPSMap 76 only has 256kb of space, so I can put in about 1/4 to 1/3 of the state of Arizona. I want the Oregon and the SW 24K now. Touch screen works best with a stylus pen.. not included and touch screen does work with gloves if you fly around in helicopters.

I think you can get the same or similar for free at:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

Resourceful users have figured out how to make thier own Garmin maps and there is an Arizona Topo 24k that is really good. You just need to load mapsource on your computer (site tells you how to downlaod that for free too). I would go here first and see if you can find what you need for free before you spend $100 bucks on your 60CSx.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Orienteering All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: