ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bald Mountain Ridge PA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 6/17/2009, 10:45 am    Post subject: Bald Mountain Ridge PA Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did a 630 mile driving loop last week arriving at the Philadelphia Airport on 6/10 and driving to State College where I stayed with my brother and his wife for 3 nights and drove routes 80 and 81 to Wilkes Barre where I visited (for 2 hours) a high school buddy who I haven’t seen for 25 years and on to Point Pleasant Beach, NJ where I visited my sister and her husband for 3 nights before returning the rental car at the Philly Airport and flying home on the 16th.

Did one spectacular hike near State College PA. Mountain Laurel is the PA state flower and June is their month to shine. It was cloudy and damp on the day I hiked but it did not rain. The pictures posted have a map of my hike showing where the dense mountain laurel can be found. I lived in PA for 24 years but not in areas were mountain laurel grows with intensity so I saw more mountain laurel on this hike than in the total 24 years of residency there.

The last picture in the set is a top map of the hike. Pictures here.
Deborah

PostPosted: 6/17/2009, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Joe,
Those made me really homesick! Tussey Mountain area is beautful. All Penn's Valley, Brush Valley are beautiful places to live and hike. Thanks for sharing!
I gotta get back to PA I miss my homestate when I see the lush green, although when I am back there I miss Tucson's wide open desert. To be a snowbird someday.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 6/17/2009, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Small world Joe. I'm flying to State College in the morning to spend the weekend with my daughter and her fiance. Not sure if we'll hike Shingletown gap on Friday but on Saturday we're heading to raft the Cheat river.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/18/2009, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pics Joe, thanks for sharing your trip and pics. I've never seen Mountain Lauel it is just beautiful. A little family, a little solitude to enjoy Nature, sounds like a nice get away.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
plummer150

PostPosted: 9/12/2009, 11:20 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow. Nice pictures. Thats crazy you lived in Pa for 24 yrs! Same here. Moved to va beach for a while and now in NYC. I'm actually from state college. Crazy. Next time youre out here let me know and well go for a hike!
plummer150

PostPosted: 9/12/2009, 11:22 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh yeah, not to mention I've hiked the trail and used to live 5 miles down the road!
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 9/12/2009, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like I will be in northeast PA early Sept 2010 for a 50th high school reunion. This is the one where you go to see who is still above ground. But I'm not sure yet exactly how I will put that trip together. I will be looking for some hiking opportunities at that time as well. If I stay past the 15th the fall colors along some of the higher routes (route 81 for example) are spectacular.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/17/2009, 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A 50 year reunion...Wow! Have a safe and Fun trip. Hopefully the weather will change up so the colors change and you'll be able to do a nice Fall hike while you are there.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 9/17/2009, 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is a pl;ace near the Delaware Water Gap and Jim Thorpe where there is a railroad tunnel and you hike up a few waterfalls. I can't recall the Indian name for the place, but it was really awesome, especially when the leaves change. You could see all over ther valley to the reiver and all in amazing color.I think it was Leni-lenape Indians territory. Smelled soo good and mossy and lush!
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 9/18/2009, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Found it! Glen Onoko Falls Trail. My Fave in Pa. www.carabs.com/photos/v1/locations/Glen-Onoko-Falls-Access-and-Trail_pics.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: