ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2009 Garden Journal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/28/2009, 9:53 am    Post subject: 2009 Garden Journal Reply to topic Reply with quote

Photos in Gallery! My garden isn't as productive as I had hoped, but I am getting a lot of zucchinis and lg. tomatoes. I also have corn that never matured fully, but it has little ears, and also I have yellow squash. We have green apples and grapes as well.

This year was not the best, but last year I didn't garden at all so this spring I had to re-do my soil, and hopefully next year it will be in shape. My plan is to put manure, bone meal, etc. into the soil this fall, instead of waiting until spring, and have someone rototill it all up. (Not sure I can manage a rototiller.)

Anyone else have a garden this year?

Want some zukes? Very Happy
desertgirl

PostPosted: 8/28/2009, 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh cool -- I was looking at your pictures & wondering what you had harvested. Now I know...
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/28/2009, 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, I first posted the early spring ones, then added the summer ones a bit later.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 8/28/2009, 11:33 am    Post subject: our garden Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's great to see.
We let most of the regular garden go out this year. I do have okra that is still producing. I hope to have enough to cook by next weekend. We are in the planning stages of our new garden project which is to be a raised bed garden. We hope to have id done by mid September in order to get the fall/winter garden going.

GTG
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/28/2009, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to do raised bed gardening in other locales. However, I am not sure how you would make it work with ditch irrigation. Ditch irrigation up here runs from late April to early July, during the usually-dry season. Although I receive this water only about one hour per week during those months, it is a lot of water to manage. But some of my neighbors have devised ways to store it. If I had a big doughboy pool I could store it somehow, then the raised beds would be more practical.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/2/2009, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice Elizabeth, looks good to me. Especially the tomato. A fresh tomato sandwich sounds good right about now. I'm hoping to have the landscape guys haul out my dirt (clay/sand) in my planter box so I can replace it with good stuff. Hope it will be ready to try some fall planting. Haven't been able to plant since I moved here so I'm anxious to see if I can get something to grow (my gardening skills need to adjust to AZ).

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/3/2009, 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is a book called Desert Gardening by George Brookbank, that I used all the time in Tucson, and bought a copy for my son when he was stationed in Yuma. Very cheap, used, on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Gardening-Brookbank/dp/1555610021 He also wrote a desert fruit tree book.
Brookbank was in charge of the Master Gardening program at Campbell Farms, the UA Farm in Tucson, next door to where I used to live. Although I never took the Master Gardening classes, I grew awesome gardens in Tucson, in a TRAILER PARK, including a winter garden! Winter desert gardens can be started now, while it's still warm, but you have to water the heck out of them so they don't dry up. You can start lettuce, root veggies, broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale and cabbage. These will all tolerate cooler temps and even the very occasional Tucson wet snow.

I am really not putting the time into my garden here like I used to in Tucson when I was a stay-at-home mom. I have all this space here but really haven't utilized it the way I could. And as for flowers, I always thought it would be fun to have the entire front yard in flowers, instead of a stupid lawn.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 9/5/2009, 1:00 pm    Post subject: gardening book Reply to topic Reply with quote

I looked at the reviews and prices of this book on your recomendation and decided to order it. I'll go through it as I am our other gardening books. Thanks for the information.

GTG
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/6/2009, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, you're welcome--have fun with that garden!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/7/2009, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Elizabeth, I've looked through several recommendations for books and hadn't decided on which one suited my needs the most. I'd buy several because they have something I like about them in each...but trying to be a bit more selective these days. Thought I saw that one but not sure if it is the same author, I'll have to check it out again with the author's name. I'll decide on one or maybe two. checked a few AZ Garden Forums and sites too. There is lots of info out there for you if you look.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/7/2009, 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd suggest going to the library. I never even bought a copy in Tucson, I just kept checking it out and renewing it. If your local branch doesn't have it, then just put in a request for it with the librarian.

I am a really dedicated user of libraries, wherever I live! We have a brand-new one here in Eagar--very nice! http://www.roundvalleylibrary.com/ Check it out! Wink
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/7/2009, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use the Phx libraries for audio books, an incredible deal. Should donate just for all the use and enjoyment I get out of it.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 9/7/2009, 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I also listen to audio books--have listened to hundreds of them over the past 9 years, while sewing at one of my jobs. Some are books that I would never actually bother to read, but are sometimes not bad to listen to if the reader is good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: