ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Colorado 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 8/26/2009, 10:26 am    Post subject: Colorado 2009 Reply to topic Reply with quote

The story started last year when we returned from Colorado and immediately started looking at 2009. An internet search revealed the intriguing Mount Elbert Lodge which is located 11 mile west route 82 (from its intersection with route 24) or 5 miles past Twin Lakes village in the mountains at an elevation of 9,750 feet. It is 27 miles from Leadville, 30 miles from Buena Vista and 33 miles from Aspen. There are 21 14ers nearby; several very close (Elbert, Massive, LaPlata, Oxford, Belford, Missouri, Huron, Harvard and Columbia). The Black Cloud trailhead was 500 feet from my cabin.

GB, husband Bud and their two labs had 1 cabin and I had my own 2 bedroom full kitchen and living room/dining room combo, one bath cabin. My place had 2 double and one single bed that would accommodate 2 or 3 very comfortably. My all inclusive rate was $110 per night and I stayed 3 weeks there. That rate is for stays of at least a week.

I reserved the cabin last August and had to pay half at the end of January to secure the room. While we were there this place was 100 percent booked with no vacancies the entire time. So making the early reservation was absolutely essential. No way to get significant time there with a last minute reservation.

GB and family stayed 2 weeks and I stayed 3. Needless to say we hiked our brains out and I will let the pictures tell the story. Here are links to 14 albums I posted on Webshots. Too much time needed to view them all so pick a few that appear interesting.

Route 82 has scenes and mini hikes for the 44 miles of route 82 from route 24 to Aspen including Independence Pass and Ghost town and pictures of my cabin as well.

Hope Pass

La Plata Peak (14,336) Due to my slowness I arrived late to this show and refused to heed warnings from GB, a professional rescue worker and other hikers about the black clouds rolling in. I arrived at the peak just in time for the electrical storm. The peak and ridgeline were crackling with static electricity. My poles were vibrating. I immediately dropped down off the peak and ridgeline 30 feet or so and backed up into the rocks there and pretended I was a rock. Set my poles aside and put on my vest, rain jacket and ear guards on since I was in a hail storm at this point. Nothing to do so I had lunch. Thirty minutes later the storm was gone and there was full sunshine for the rest of the day. Wild stuff.
Why did I ignore the warnings? Hey, I’m 67 and long ago thought how I would like to go out. Is it better to go while in your easy chair watching FOX news or to get fried by lightning on La Plata Peak? You choose.

Brown’s Cabin & Mines

Mount Yale (14,196)

Mount Grizzly

Mount Belford (14,197)

Lake Ann & Continental Divide

Huron Peak (14,003)

Vicksburg & Winfield CO

Cathedral Lake & Electric Pass

Mount Princeton (14,197)

Mount Columbia (14,073)

Black Cloud Echo Canyon Loop For my last hike I studied my maps and came up with this hike which is not on anyone’s radar scope (as far as I know) so I had this loop all to myself. It starts and ends at my cabin going 500 feet to the Black Cloud trailhead. It has 3 historic mines that are accurately shown on USGS maps and Garm in maps. A bonus was to find 3 cabins as well and lots of machinery. Also there are spectacular views along the way. This 9 mile loop exceeded all of my expectations.

On balance this was the best Colorado weather on any of my trips with 4 out of 5 days being sunny and clear all day without the usual afternoon thunderstorms and hail at high elevations. At the cabin the high was in the mid 70s and overnight low around 35. I was toasty with the heater on every night.

There are many campgrounds all over this area and open camping is permitted on most of it. July August is the snow free hiking season and is my favorite place to be on the planet at that time.

Lance Armstrong won the Leadville 100 mile bike race on August 15 beating the former 6 time winner by 28 minutes coming across the finish line on a flat tire.
windymesa

PostPosted: 8/26/2009, 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think I like your attitude...... 2 years and I will be out there fulltime with you gpsjoe.
randy883

PostPosted: 8/27/2009, 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good stuff! Pictures brought back some nice memories: Belford was my first 14er back in 2002 and we camped at Winfield (is the spooky mannequin still in the window?). I just got back from hanging out around Lake City, and hiking up Redcloud and Sunshine. You just can't beat Colorado in the summer! Smile
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 8/28/2009, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Didn't see the spooky manequin Randy.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/29/2009, 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, Joe, that looks like an awesome vacation! You can probably outhike us all now, too, hiking at those elevations for weeks!
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 8/29/2009, 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth wrote:
Hey, Joe, that looks like an awesome vacation! You can probably outhike us all now, too, hiking at those elevations for weeks

I always come back from Colorado stronger than when I left town. Colorado has some tough cookies though. I huff and puff my way up to those peaks and it often happens that some young and not so young Colorado trail runners go whizzing by at elevations of 12 to 14 thousand feet. They are most impressive. Good to see there are some young people who get off their butts and away from the TV and video games.
lzyboy

PostPosted: 8/29/2009, 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado 2009 Reply to topic Reply with quote

gpsjoe wrote:
Hey, I’m 67 and long ago thought how I would like to go out. Is it better to go while in your easy chair watching FOX news or to get fried by lightning on La Plata Peak? You choose.
That's a no-brainer for sure!! No matter what your age, there is NO reason to EVER be wathching FOX news, or news-free as it were! Tis far better to be in the REAL world, doing what you do so well, making the rest of us envious of your exploits. What a fantastic journey!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: