ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Next trip plans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/16/2009, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Next trip plans Reply to topic Reply with quote

Once a quarter I I will do a motel trip somewhere in the state. Any suggestions and why.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/16/2009, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.theshadydell.com/
because its there

what i do
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/18/2009, 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nighthiker, you gotta stay at The Inn at Jerome, a truly haunted hotel, which is above a restaurant and has only 8 rooms, very nicely decorated in neo-Victorian. It also smells good in there, sort of a potpourri smell or something. The European-style rooms with bathroom down the hall were pretty inexpensive last time we stayed there. Very clean.

We were staying there a few years ago when my husband saw the ghost. I had gotten up early and was sitting in the small lobby, drinking coffee they provide and reading. The restaurant didn't open for breakfast until 8, and I thought I'd let my husband sleep. I had been sitting there for about an hour when he came out of the room, looking at me blearily and asking the time. I said, "6:30." He said, "What time do they serve breakfast?" I said, "8 o'clock. You can sleep some more if you want to." He said, "Well, then, why did you just come in here and wake me up?" I said, "What? I didn't go and wake you up! I've been sitting here for an hour!" He said, "Yes, you did! You stood next to the bed and called my name!" I said, "No, I didn't!" "Yes, you did!" I said, "No, I didn't! It must have been that ghost they talk about!" He said, "Whoa! What ghost!" I said, "Didn't you read the brochure? This place is supposed to be haunted!" He said, "Whoa whoa whoa whoa, NO NO, don't tell me THAT! You sure you didn't stand right next to the bed and call my name?" I said, "No, I didn't! What exactly did you see? Are you sure you didn't dream it?" He said, "NO, I didn't dream it! I was asleep and someone came and stood next to the bed and called my name and woke me up!" I said, "What did you see?" He said he had glanced at the person he thought was me standing there and then sort of burrowed back into the bed and closed his eyes because he didn't want me waking him up.

When we went down for breakfast we told the story, and all the waitresses gathered around and told more ghost stories because they had all had had weird things happen to them there.

We stayed there one more time to see if it would happen again, but we got a different room and nothing happened. Even though my husband was freaked out about it he wanted to go back and see if it would happen again.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/18/2009, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Was not planning on spending much time in the motel.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/19/2009, 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, we didn't either, except for waiting for the restaurant to open at 8 a.m. (Which is very "late" to me, as I'm usually ready for breakfast by 6 a.m., or before.

When we didn't live here, we always stayed at Reed's in Springerville. We tried the others, too, but we liked Reed's. You have to make sure you ask for the cheaper rooms there, though, unless you're not on a budget. If Roxanne is there, tell her I sent you. She's the owner.

Old hotel in historic district, Silver City, very cheap, gave us breakfast. Kingman, we've tried a couple of the cheap old Rt. 66 places, but ended up at Best Western last time. My husband tried to pay with a credit card at one of those old places and the guy, an East Indian who barely spoke English, kept pantomiming that the card didn't work. We had stayed there 3 or 4 times before, so he knew we were repeat business. We went next door and paid twice as much to stay at Best Western. (Great buffet breakfast!) There was nothing wrong with the card, of course, that guy just wanted cash because he could easily hide the transaction from the owner.

Mostly we've stayed at Motel 6 because we have our dog with us. There are two at Lake Havasu City--one of them is next to the lake and the Saturday swap meet.

I heard about this really neat hippie hot springs place in Safford where they have Tuff Shed cabins, called Essence of Tranquility. Haven't stayed there yet. We have stayed at an older motel on way toward Thatcher, s. side of hwy, pretty clean.

I haven't been more than 50 miles from here, however, in 3 months! Not even to Show Low!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/23/2009, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Elizabeth, that is the longest time I've heard for you. Usually you are just getting out and about... work must really have you tied up, huh?

Well maybe soon it will break and we'll be hearing of some new adventure for you

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: