ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
2009 Hiking Goals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
PageRob

PostPosted: 1/3/2009, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz - why would the doc not want you climbing?
Suz

PostPosted: 1/4/2009, 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Rob----oh I've got a little itsy bitsy injury....I've sort of torn my right collarbone off my chest Crazy one of the 4 ligaments that holds the dang sternoclavicular joint in place is MIA...perhaps torn...so the collarbone on that side is unstable (and causing a fair amount of pain when it moves)...mostly sticking out about an inch.
PageRob

PostPosted: 1/4/2009, 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Rob----oh I've got a little itsy bitsy injury....I've sort of torn my right collarbone off my chest Crazy one of the 4 ligaments that holds the dang sternoclavicular joint in place is MIA...perhaps torn...so the collarbone on that side is unstable (and causing a fair amount of pain when it moves)...mostly sticking out about an inch.

Yikes!!! What is going to happen, then? Is there some sort of surgical option, or just hope that it heals? Wow! I hope either way it gets better and you're able to start getting back out there on the wall. I guess that sort of limits your backpacking too, huh?
Suz

PostPosted: 1/4/2009, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Amputation is in my mind right about now. It's a fricken freaky rare injury so the plan is a guessing/waiting game. It's in a really bad place to do surgery although I have found one doc in Chicago that does reconstructive work on this joint. They (doc and physical therapist) would like to see the swelling go down and a reduction in pain should come with that. There is some heterotopic ossification in the area, too. Feels like planters fasciitis on my collarbone Crying or Very sad Damage to the joint capsule and bone marrow edema...and a little pec major injury. They think the joint might slip back into place, then they are hoping for some scar tissue to develop that will eventually start working like the ligament. The problem occurs if I keep re-injuring it there will be too much scar tissue. They want to try to keep my shoulder strong without moving the joint--hence the physical therapy, electro stim and ice....it's been a real trick find exercises that don't affect that joint. We just started the Kinesio Taping---I like it for about 2 days and then can't tolerate the tape on my skin. The PT's say 6 months to climbing(although they hope I can make liars out of them), the doc gets to visit with me again in 12 days. They have mentioned some sort of procedure where they put me under and start pulling on my arm and pushing on the collarbone....sounds lovely....and then you sling up the arm and quit moving until the pain from all that goes away. It sounds fabulously scientific, doesn't it?

I've been visualizing climbing with my legs and left arm.....I think it's possible. Rappelling should be fine....swimming might be bad but we haven't talked about that yet.

Climbing/backpacking/and pulling plugs out of walls are all on the BAD list right now. Although if I had a cabana boy carry most of my pack weight I'm sure I could backpack. Rolling Eyes One more reason to be an ultralighter, right? I carried a day pack up Brown's and was fine. Where ya thinking about backpacking?
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 1/5/2009, 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I want to do more Grand Canyon hikes, especially to a certain gallery. More overall nights out in a tent. More exploration of Sycamore Canyon, Superstitions and some of the mining leftovers in Phoenix Mountain Parks.

GTG
PageRob

PostPosted: 1/5/2009, 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, there's the possibility of a Hackberry backpack later in the year. Also doing a Grand Gulch backpack in March, but you'd have to time off for that, since we'll be gone until a Monday.
Suz

PostPosted: 1/5/2009, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Rob---thanks for thinking of me...sent a PM to you.
FYI---in March I'm on Spring Break March 14-22
and in April I've got a 3 day weekend 10, 11, and the 12th.

paintninaz wrote:
Yes, we’ll need to practice!! Bouncing When does Ambika get back??

Jan 16th want to pencil in something for Jan 24th or 25th?

paintninaz wrote:
haven’t walked around the house with it b/c when Rocky first eyed it he instantly thought it was a giant new rope toy for him and leaped for it, (he was thoroughly disappointed when he was met with a knee to the chest) so I don’t want to risk it. It’s safely stored in my gear room, up high. I’ve got part of my REI dividend already marked for that cool bag!

It’s a 10.2, a pretty blue and white (color coordinates with the set of BD Quickdraws I also got), and best I can tell from the tinsy winsy print on the pamphlet (not having the magnifying glasses you received handy) it has the dry coating.

Pretty Sweet indeed! thumbs up

That Rocky! rofl bad dog.....eat anything else but not "our" rope! No

So I think I'm going to edit my goals to include sending you to lead climbing school in 2009...you've got the rope, you've got the quick draws, you're strong, and we ALWAYS make you go first anyways........February for that whaddya think?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/5/2009, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
paintninaz wrote:
Yes, we’ll need to practice!! Bouncing When does Ambika get back??

Jan 16th want to pencil in something for Jan 24th or 25th?

paintninaz wrote:
haven’t walked around the house with it b/c when Rocky first eyed it he instantly thought it was a giant new rope toy for him and leaped for it, (he was thoroughly disappointed when he was met with a knee to the chest) so I don’t want to risk it. It’s safely stored in my gear room, up high. I’ve got part of my REI dividend already marked for that cool bag!

It’s a 10.2, a pretty blue and white (color coordinates with the set of BD Quickdraws I also got), and best I can tell from the tinsy winsy print on the pamphlet (not having the magnifying glasses you received handy) it has the dry coating.

Pretty Sweet indeed! thumbs up

That Rocky! rofl bad dog.....eat anything else but not "our" rope! No

So I think I'm going to edit my goals to include sending you to lead climbing school in 2009...you've got the rope, you've got the quick draws, you're strong, and we ALWAYS make you go first anyways........February for that whaddya think?

I need practice too... Got my harness, shoes, carabiner, atc, and personal anchor. So lead me somewhere somebody.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/5/2009, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok....first off....I will NOT be ready for the lead climbing school in February. No nutz I need LOTS more practice. The VERY earliest I'd remotely consider would be Fall..but not likely even in '09. Eek

We can still practice all you want, we just may need to find a lead climber...or stick to top ropes. Wink

Tim, I saw you got a sweet gift card...I'll go with you to the Solid Rock Gym at the North location, pick a night. Mr. Green

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Suz

PostPosted: 1/6/2009, 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You don't have to lead 5.8's...............

Where are our good top rope options?
wstwrdwmn

PostPosted: 1/23/2009, 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi everyone Smile

My hiking goals for the year are fairly simple:

1) Keep up the weekly short hikes so that 3-4 hours doesn't do me in.
2) Participate in a group hike.
3) O'Leary Peak
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/23/2009, 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
More overall nights out in a tent. More exploration of Sycamore Canyon, Superstitions
GTG
those 2 places are favorable right now. I just did a Casner/Taylor cabin loop to escape from the Supes for at least a couple weeks, but I'll be back in there after I lead a hike into Poland Creek next week. Call on me to show you some very special off-trail and canyon routes in the Supes.
Davis2001R6 wrote:
I would like to see my bear canister fit in my golite jam.
yes, it takes a very minimalist kit to use such a pack with a BV
im not saying it couldnt be done, but...

what i do
rayhiker

PostPosted: 8/16/2009, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Argh! Injured my ankle back around May 1 -- looks like I'm not going to do very well this year with my hiking goals. I'm just about ready to stop making hiking goals (at least to stop publishing them). How's everyone else doing? Anyone have words of encouragement for someone with chronic ankle injuries?
Deborah

PostPosted: 8/16/2009, 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ha, haven't achieved much myself. I have met some new SAHC hikers whom I hope keep hiking with the club.
For Ankle injuries, are you doing some ankle strengthing exercises.
I know just practing writing your name with your foot is a good exercise.
Rotation of the ankles while doing a hamstring stretch.
Deep water treading and running would be helpful as well , no pressure on the joints!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 8/16/2009, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

rayhiker wrote:
Argh! Injured my ankle back around May 1 -- looks like I'm not going to do very well this year with my hiking goals. I'm just about ready to stop making hiking goals (at least to stop publishing them). How's everyone else doing? Anyone have words of encouragement for someone with chronic ankle injuries?

get some Vibram Five Finger sandals and wear them as directed, it will strengthen your tendons and mucsles the way nature intended them to be (barefoot)
then switch to trail runners to keep those lower legs strong and stable

Ive been satisfied with my hiking and set out to make a goal of backpacking 2x per month at least and have met those goals well. I think im at 240 miles and ~40,000 elevation gain averaging slightly above 12 miles per hike.

Many of the places i had on my "list" have been finished, like the Safford-Morenci trail and Powers Garden, I am doing Aravaipa for the first time (finally) and have spent some time in SAZ doing the 'sky islands' too. So, im pretty happy about this year, thanks for asking. mike

like desired, a goal of mine was to make more great gear and its been working; my blog for my down hammock quilts: www.te-waunderquilts.blogspot.com/

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: