ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Marty Karabin-prominent valley rock climber falls needs help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 8/4/2009, 8:58 am    Post subject: Marty Karabin-prominent valley rock climber falls needs help Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just got this from the AMC folks.....passing it along FYI

Many of you know, or know of, Marty Karabin, one of the valley's most prominent rock climbers. He is the author of the Queen Creek Canyon climbing guide, virtually all of the crag maps for the popular climbing areas in Arizona, and has been instrumental in positively affecting access issues around the state, especially in Queen Creek. He also owns the Cliff Hanger gear shop at Phoenix Rock Gym.

While climbing with friends in Cottonwood Canyon last week near Salt Lake City, Marty took a fall that resulted in a severely broken femur. He is back in Phoenix facing a long recuperation and huge medical bills. Unfortunately Marty does not have medical insurance.

Below is a post from MountainProject.com from Greg Opland about the accident and a recovery fund set up to help him with medical expenses: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/arizona__new_mexico/marty_karabin_accident_etc/106504150

First off, Marty is alive, so this isn't a horrible post.
Too many of those lately.

But, Marty was bouldering last week up by Salt Lake City while he was there for the OR show, and cratered into the pads. They saved his head and shoulders, but his leg augered in under him and he came out with a badly broken femur. He was in the hospital for a bit while they plated and screwed his leg back together, but he is expected to make a full recovery. He is returning to Phoenix sometime today.

Now for the bad part... Marty didn't have medical insurance. Friends have set up an account in case other friends and partners in the community want to donate to help him out with what I'm sure are pretty horrendous medical bills. I believe the PRG guys are working on a couple of fund raiser projects as well, so stay tuned for info on those. Marty has spent a load of his own money over the years putting up a boatload of great routes in the Phoenix area (and elsewhere), so maybe this is a good time for some of us to pony up and help him out.

If you'd like to help Marty out, here's the account info:

Marty Karabin Recovery Fund
Wells Fargo
Name on the account: Robert Olson
Acct Number: 9613232793

Note: To donate to the account, you need to provide the name on the account and the account number. The name on the account (because he set it up) is Robert Olson.

azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/5/2009, 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yikes.

I can see no reason why he won't be able to get on AHCCCS, though. If he can't work, then he has no income. If he only owns one house and one car and doesn't have a lot of other assets, such as stocks, CDs, bonds, etc., he can get on AHCCCS.

Not that he might not need some extra help! He probably will! I'm just saying that if the medical bills go up pretty high, the person can't work and if the person has no assets other than a house and a car, they can usually get on it. If he is married and his wife has a pretty good income, though, that might make him ineligible.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/5/2009, 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It might depend on how much he has in assets with his business.
Quote:
He also owns the Cliff Hanger gear shop at Phoenix Rock Gym.

Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 8/5/2009, 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A climber without health insurance?
Seems he lives on the edge in more ways than one.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/5/2009, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
Yikes.

I can see no reason why he won't be able to get on ACHHHS, though. If he can't work, then he has no income. If he only owns one house and one car and doesn't have a lot of other assets, such as stocks, CDs, bonds, etc., he can get on ACHHHS.

Not that he might not need some extra help! He probably will! I'm just saying that if the medical bills go up pretty high, the person can't work and if the person has no assets other than a house and a car, they can usually get on it. If he is married and his wife has a pretty good income, though, that might make him ineligible.

Very good point Elizabth if even just as a suggestion to bring it to Mr Karabin's attention that there is a possibility out there for him to look at!
Thanks for the post Susan! I am certain that no matter what comes out of the fund raising Mr Karabin will be greatful for any help he can get. It is difficult to be out of work for the length of recovery not to mention to have to shoulder the whole burden with out any insurance.

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/5/2009, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, who the heck can get health insurance these days, Shawn? May as well live your life and not worry about it too much. I sure don't hear of any jobs that come with health insurance. Or if they do have it you can't afford it because it's too expensive.

The hospital will probably send a social worker to his bedside or talk to his family regarding AHCCCS. If not maybe someone could help him with the paperwork.

I used to be able to go to the doctor and get Rxs via the "Tobacco Tax" program, also known as Arizona Primary Care. It was paid for via the taxes on cigarettes, and was available only in 3 or 4 rural counties--Navajo, Apache, Coconino and maybe a couple others. The new governor got rid of it PDQ in late Feb right after she took office. The voters voted for it and it was helpful to a lot of people who work full-time and don't qualify for AHCCCS.

If I were to quit my job and sit at home and watch TV all day I could qualify for AHCCCS. But since I choose to work full-time I can't get it. Go figger.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/6/2009, 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Elizabeth, there are actually quite a few employers who offer affordable health insurance. I found it in the oil field, semiconductors, and now in healthcare. I've heard that both Trader Joe's and REI offer affordable health insurance to their employees but I never worked for them. On the other hand, I heard health insurance at Wallyworld is so expensive that it's not really seen as a benefit. I'm looking forward to seeing both the positive and unexpected changes when/if Congress passes the health care bill.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/6/2009, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I don't really want to move to the Valley, thanks. I'll take my chances and stay put for the time being. If I ever do move, it'll be back home to San Diego or to Oregon, most likely. I like Yuma, too, but the summers are brutal there.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 8/8/2009, 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Marty probably couldn't get insurance due to his high risk career or if he could, it'd be extremely costly. What a bummer, but glad he is still here to talk about it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: