ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bear with me!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoFear

PostPosted: 5/17/2004, 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I agree k9hiker.
saguaro_west_photography

PostPosted: 7/28/2009, 1:20 pm    Post subject: re: bear country Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll be exploring a lot of potential bear / mtn lion country in October. I was just curious what many of you guys/gals bring with you, if anything, in terms of self defense against predators, or do you even worry about that sort of thing? Frankly, I am more concerned about the whole drug smuggler / immigration issue than I am with bears/mtn lions, but I try to go prepared for anything, since I do most of my backpacking/exploring solo. What can you LEGALLY bring with you? Are we limited to hiking sticks and pocket knives? LOL (I've tried googling the Az laws, but haven't found specifically the answer I need yet).
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 7/28/2009, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: re: bear country Reply to topic Reply with quote

saguaro_west_photography wrote:
I'll be exploring a lot of potential bear / mtn lion country in October. I was just curious what many of you guys/gals bring with you, if anything, in terms of self defense against predators, or do you even worry about that sort of thing? Frankly, I am more concerned about the whole drug smuggler / immigration issue than I am with bears/mtn lions, but I try to go prepared for anything, since I do most of my backpacking/exploring solo. What can you LEGALLY bring with you? Are we limited to hiking sticks and pocket knives? LOL (I've tried googling the Az laws, but haven't found specifically the answer I need yet).

Senate Accepts Dr. Coburn’s Amendment to Protect Second Amendment Rights; States’ Rights
Amendment applies state gun laws to national parks

May 12, 2009

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK), offered an amendment today to protect the second amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. The amendment ensures that law-abiding visitors to National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service public lands can possess firearms in accordance with federal, state, and local law. The amendment passed by a vote of 67 to 29.
“This amendment has two important purposes.
First, this amendment is about protecting every American’s Second Amendment rights.
Second, this amendment is about protecting the right of every state to pass laws that apply to their entire state, including public lands. If an American citizen has a right to carry a firearm in their state, it makes no sense to treat them like a criminal if they pass through a national park while in possession of a firearm,” Dr. Coburn said.

“Visitors to national parks also should have the right to defend themselves in accordance with the laws of their states,” Dr. Coburn added. “National parks, while still generally safe for visitors, have seen an increase in crime recently.”

• According to the National Park Service and the Fish and Wildlife Service, in 2006 there were 16 homicides (including one manslaughter charge), 41 rape cases (including two attempted rapes), 92 robberies, 16 kidnappings, and 333 aggravated assaults. These offenses only include homicides and other crimes handled by national park and refuge law enforcement, but don’t account for the homicides and crimes other law enforcement agencies processed.

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/28/2009, 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think the best defense is common sense. I hike/backpack solo a lot and don't carry any weapons. This last trip I did take some bear spray; I felt kinda silly 'cause I think the grizzlies wouldn't be put off too much by that but I gave myself the extra comfort. I also carried and used an Ursack, which is pretty light and rolls up, used it as a food sack in my pack and then hung it up away from camp. I liked it pretty well, seemed tough enough.
Otherwise, I just keep to myself, stealth camp when I can and enjoy my time out there. No problems in many years of hiking, even near the border, knock on wood.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/28/2009, 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: re: bear country Reply to topic Reply with quote

saguaro_west_photography wrote:

I am not sure, since you have a California driver's license, what the exact laws are in AZ for you to buy a handgun, but you may be restricted because of your residency.

A lot of us do carry at times. On the other hand, a lot of us have hiked an entire lifetime without carrying. For AZ residents in the national forests, state lands and BLM lands, we can openly carry a handgun in a holster, but if we want to carry concealed we have to take a class and get a concealed carry permit.

Handguns can be bought either at a gun shop or gun show. Easier to deal with a private dealer at a gun show--no Brady law. Private party to private party should pose few problems. Newspaper ads, etc.

However, as a gun show vendor I can tell you that they read us the riot act at the shows about selling handguns to Californians. They may check your driver's license at the door as you leave. Newspaper ads are your best bet, then.

Arizonans can also carry the handgun in the car pretty much any which way we want to--loaded, unloaded, visible, not visible. Arizona has the fewest gun restrictions of any state that I know of. Of course it is best to err on the side of caution and keep it in the glove box.

The solution to the problem of being a Californian, of course, is to become an Arizonan! I myself am a 4th generation Californian, (my family goes back to the 1850's, San Francisco, and the late 1800's San Diego), but I have lived in AZ for 23 years.

The UDI's (undocumented immigrants) can be a real problem in Southern Arizona. Sometimes they are smugglers and are heavily armed. Areas that I've heard about the most in recent times are: the Santa Ritas, the Huachucas, the Ruby Road area (west of Nogales) and Organ Pipe. A lot of people are saying you should not hike solo in the border areas.

Incidentally, there are no knife restrictions at all in Arizona. You can carry any length of knife, and you can carry a switchblade as well.
saguaro_west_photography

PostPosted: 7/28/2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: re: bear country Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
The solution to the problem of being a Californian, of course, is to become an Arizonan! I myself am a 4th generation Californian, (my family goes back to the 1850's, San Francisco, and the late 1800's San Diego), but I have lived in AZ for 23 years.

The UDI's (undocumented immigrants) can be a real problem in Southern Arizona. Sometimes they are smugglers and are heavily armed. Areas that I've heard about the most in recent times are: the Santa Ritas, the Huachucas, the Ruby Road area (west of Nogales) and Organ Pipe. A lot of people are saying you should not hike solo in the border areas.

Incidentally, there are no knife restrictions at all in Arizona. You can carry any length of knife, and you can carry a switchblade as well.

No knife restrictions?? Wow. I must've come across some outdated info earlier. Anyways, that's what I was thinking of getting & bringing along.

Yeah I am definitely aiming to move to Arizona sometime in the future. Just too many places I need to explore before it's all said & done, lol. The place is just incredible!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/28/2009, 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There may be a couple of cities with a knife law but the state doesn't restrict switch blades, etc. You can carry a great big sheath knife or whatever you want. (Some of us might laugh at you, but you can carry one! Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: