ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Subway, at Zion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/4/2009, 6:10 pm    Post subject: The Subway, at Zion Reply to topic Reply with quote

A couple months ago I saw a post describing a group of folks doing a number of different canyons in Zion. This sounded like a lot of fun, so I emailed a friend who lives up there and asked if she could sign me up for a couple of the canyons. As the weeks went by, she switched me from one hike to another, trying to fit everybody in. I was pretty flexible, not really caring what canyon I was doing. For a while I was signed up do do a route called Englestead Hollow, which starts off with a 300 foot rappel...

As it finally turned out, I did a route called the 'Subway' on Saturday, and was signed up for 'Rock Canyon' on Sunday. Due to a number of reasons, the Rock Canyon hike was canceled, and I just came home on Sunday.

We did a car shuttle for the Subway hike, leaving a couple cars at the take out area, then driving up to the upper access point. The route down into the canyon was really pretty, crossing a lot of sandstone slick rock areas, and then a steep climb down to the bed of the canyon. From here the route just follows the water downstream. There are a few chockstones that need a hand line to get down, and a few narrow (and cold!) pools to swim through, and lots of really beautiful canyon scenery to walk through. There was only one spot where some of the people in the group used their harness and rappel device. It was a steep 30 foot slope with an eight to ten foot drop at the end. After that it was pretty easy, just walking down the creek bed, then along paths along the creek for a mile or two. After a lunch stop at a small creek coming in from the west, we hiked a short ways further, then started the climb out of the canyon. After a mile or so, and 800 feet of climbing, we were back at the rim. Less than a mile and we were back at the lower trail head. Great hike!

That evening, we had a big pot luck get together, accompanied by lots of food and laughter. We heard tales of the other hikes that has taken place that day, the accident in Englestead (nothing really bad...), and plans for Sunday...

On my way home on Sunday, I was once again given the indication that I lead a charmed life. After driving all the way to Zion and back, through a LOT of very empty country, the fuel pump on the Jimmy quit working about 6 miles from home. I called a tow truck, and 30 minutes later the Jimmy was at a garage, and I was at home, getting ready to go to sleep. A wonderful weekend all around....

Hank

P.S. Some pictures are here:
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albwf07&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

here's a link to another trip report, the second half is the Subway hike we did:
http://www.bogley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17738&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/5/2009, 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad you had a great trip -- now where are the pictures -- You know you can't tell us you went to Subway and not post pictures Smile

Ok -- I went and found them ...now I wanna go Confused to Zion!
Suz

PostPosted: 7/6/2009, 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Loved the pictures. I have a gazillion questions for you. This one has been on my list.
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/6/2009, 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
Loved the pictures. I have a gazillion questions for you. This one has been on my list.

Well, I think I can answer maybe 43 of them... I'd be willing to do it again, if that's one of your questions, and I think I could find the way again....
Suz

PostPosted: 7/6/2009, 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How about labor day weekend? I should be perfectly recovered by then.
jdahling

PostPosted: 7/6/2009, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
How about labor day weekend? I should be perfectly recovered by then.

That's not a bad idea - anybody interested?

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Suz

PostPosted: 7/6/2009, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

you, me, hank.....that's 3! Agree
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/6/2009, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

me 2
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/7/2009, 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll check to see what is involved with getting a permit. They only allow 60 people through there per day, and I think that a permit can be for no more than 12 people. I'll post more information as I find out...

Sounds fun to me!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 7/7/2009, 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is a COOL canyoneering hike that I did last year...there are several sections of really cold pools. I am not much of a rock climber but I found out I can rappel quite well.

Here is a synopsis of the hike from my friends at UTAH.com

http://climb-utah.com/Zion/subway.htm

Have a great time with this! I sure did

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
CyclingNurse

PostPosted: 7/8/2009, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Beautifull Pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Suz

PostPosted: 7/9/2009, 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Let's Do IT!
Tentative interest in this for Labor Day Weekend
1. ME!
2. Hank
3. Jeannine
4. Ambika
5. Guru
6. Tommy
7. Nestor
8. Sande
9. Jim (has other plans so just a minor maybe)
10 Saved for Hank's friend
11 Saved for Hank's friend

The Plan as I might suggest it
Friday Drive to Page (camp or hotel)
Saturday - Flexible in case we have to stand in line for permits...maybe Angel's Landing again(camp or hotel) or North Fork
Sunday - The Subway (camp or hotel)
Monday--Drive home --maybe Buckskin Gulch if we can get an early start.
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/9/2009, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds great! Let's leave a spot or two open for a friend or two I have in the Zion area, and who might also be able to help get the permit...

If it turns out that the Subway is totally booked, should I look into other canyons in the area? (there are LOTS of them, with varying degrees of technical difficulty) Also, even the Subway has a few places where ropes are necessary, either as hand lines, or a very short rappel....
Suz

PostPosted: 7/9/2009, 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Edited the post above to save you a couple of slots for friends.
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/9/2009, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks! Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: