ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hart Prairie Work Weekend August 7-9,'09
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(12)
User
Shawn
Hikngrl
chihiggs
GTG
Hnak
oliverr99
beckett
paintninaz
Tom Treks
tibber
jdahling
Randal Schulhauser
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Shawn
PostPosted: 1/26/2009, 10:37 am    Post subject: Hart Prairie Work Weekend August 7-9,'09 Reply with quote

Again, this is "leadership lite" so heads up, read the following. Ask if you have any uncertainties.

Thanks

How to get there: If you are coming from Phoenix, be aware that it will take you at least 3 hours (3.5 from Tempe) so arriving Friday is best. If you arrive after dark, look for the porchlight to your left as you come in, you'll be seeing a rail fence in your headlights. We'll keep someone around to direct you to your cabin as long as possible. If you know you'll be really late, please let Shawn know and we'll figure something out.

* From the south, take I-17 to Flagstaff, I-17 becomes Milton Road after you enter Flagstaff.
* Continue north, pass under a railroad bridge and turn left onto Humphreys
* Turn left at Columbus (at traffic light) onto Hwy 180
* Follow 180 out of town approximately 10 miles and past the Arizona Snowbowl ski resort
* Just past mile post 225, turn right onto Forest Road 151 (there is a bright yellow daytime headlight use sign at this turn);
* Drive 4.5 miles and look for The Nature Conservancy sign on the right.
* Leave the gate the way you find it. Please drive slowly into the Preserve (15 mph);
* From the gate to cabins is about a mile
* Drive to your assigned cabin or ask whereabouts upon your arrival, unload, and please park your vehicle in the corral parking area north of the lodge, please back into your spot

Information Sheet

Wildfire fuels reduction, wild plant seed collection, and other duties as assigned.

Please read this thoroughly and contact Shawn R if you have questions.

Key Information
• Cabins are rustic but comfortable, beds are fine, bring your own linens or sleeping bags.
• The sewer system works but how or why is largely a mystery; use the composting toilet if at all possible

• Shower house is a wonderful luxury after a good day of grubby work. Bring your own towel and toiletries.
• Water is trucked in, use it sparingly, please don’t waste it. If you see a plumbing leak let the Preserve folks know immediately.
• Any food left out unprotected-indoors or out-will likely be confiscated by small furry critters of the night.
• We will be TNC volunteers this weekend, please sign the waiver forms.
• **No pets are allowed on the preserve.** (Sorry 'bout that.)
• There are no commercial facilities at the preserve, i.e., no store, no ice, no sodas, etc. Bring what you need with you.
• We are responsible for cleaning up the cabins before we leave.

What to wear and bring
• Sturdy shoes, work gloves, water container to take to the work sites (additional water available)
• Snacks if you need any to help you make it to lunch time
• Sun protection (wide brim hat, loose clothing that covers limbs, sunscreen); the air is clear and the elevation is 8,400 ft, sun burn happens quickly.
• Long-sleeve shirt and pants (recommended)
• Rain gear and warmer clothing (Check the forecast – It is generally 15 degrees cooler!!! than Flagstaff.) [http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=FGZ&llon=-112.433747&rlon=-111.171247&tlat=35.829584&blat=34.567084&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=137&map.y=98]
• Personal first aid kit
• Towels and toiletries
• Sleeping bag or linens – extra blankets available in the cabins
• Small cooler for your snacks/drinks and food for any meals not arranged by the group (Refrigerator in lodge kitchen will be used by our chefs.)
• Flashlight or head lamp is a must (not fun getting lost at night traversing between buildings)
• Cabins and bathrooms have lights but the Preserve's electricity is home made--solar and a generator-- so please use appliances sparingly (if not needed immediately-shut it off).
• Binoculars, Camera
• The Preserve provides eating utensils and dishes.

Cabin dwellers: Cabins have small heaters that work quite well
Bring sleeping bag and pillow or your own bedding (see cabin assignments for bed size). Keep all personal food items in a cooler or plastic bin to protect from small critter invasion. Keep doors closed.

Physical requirements to participate:
Moderate to hard work, lighter options likely availalble. Work elevation is just over 8,400 feet—a big change from the valley. Work at your own pace, think safety!
Meals
• Meals are a group effort. Dish washing duties are shared; please step up for a meal’s worth.
• BYOB
• Bring your own food for snacks during work and any additional meals you will need if you choose to arrive or leave outside the provided meal service period. (See arrival and departure options below.)
• There is a reasonably well equipped kitchen, and a gas grill out back.

Agenda
Friday - You may arrive any time after 1:00.
The kitchen will be open to you to make your dinner. You will be responsible for cleaning up after yourself. There may be room to store your food in the kitchen however, the group meal provisions have first dibbs on the limited refridgerator space. (See what to wear and bring above.)

FULL as of July 1, so sorry.

Contact me for a wait list position of you like.

This event was "iffy" pending TNC's funding situation, but it's a "GO."
Arrive sometime Friday PM, work all day Saturday (or till it rains) and Sunday AM, have the run of the place till Sunday evening.

The Northern AZ Cardiac Surgeon's Group bailed out on menu planning, so we'll try to be a little more heart healthy this year. It's probably more efficient for one or a small group to do the shopping and hauling for food but we'll rotate KP duty. Volunteers?

Beautiful here this weekend, warm, sunny, bright blue sky, green aspen coming out, grass and ground cover coming in strong.

Tiny view of Hart Prairie from top of Fern Mtn.

oliverr99

PostPosted: 5/19/2009, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am going to sign up, but it might change later, due to school. Just so you all know! Thanks!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/19/2009, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Now I have a date need to get the next qtr On-call list. Maybe I should offer to work up the next qtr list? Hope it works for me. I'll be there if I'm able. It is such a pretty place and was fun too.

This time I'll watch out for large slate rock pieces, my toes would appreciate that Rolling Eyes And Diane you watch those ankles Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/12/2009, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ooops
tibber

PostPosted: 6/12/2009, 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never participated before but I can do just about anything... it's the farmer/rancher daughter in me.
So whatever you assign or need, I'll pitch in. I don't know much about this event but I love Hart Prairie so whatever I can do....
Deborah

PostPosted: 6/23/2009, 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just found out that the 8th is our annual back to school training since we start back to school on the 13. Hey at least I have a job.
jdahling

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm interested - This is usually a good time to be had by all!

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shawn

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome back, where ya been?
jdahling

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry - no good excuses - just wrong priorities!

I'm back now, though, so everyone watch out!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jdahling wrote:
I'm back now, though, so everyone watch out!
Agree
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jeannine!!!! Hey! Welcome back! We have missed you! Come hike with us!!!

I want to shine!
jdahling

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wonderful - I'd love to join you! I'm getting back in the habit of using a few moments during the day to review whats scheduled. I'll attend all I can!

Multi

Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Ah Grasshopper, one must always keep priorities straight, or mind go insane and life no fun.

Hope your still getting out there running Smile
Shawn

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to be the duty bad guy here, but we're full now. Better luck next time! If you want I'll keep a wait list in case anyone drops out. If you are signed up here or if you contacted me via PM, you're in.
jdahling

PostPosted: 7/1/2009, 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Arizonaheat wrote:
Quote:

Ah Grasshopper, one must always keep priorities straight, or mind go insane and life no fun.

Hope your still getting out there running Smile

You are so so right on that one. I feel as if I'm not even myself, missing out on the fun wilderness adventures. Need more fun!

Shawn

PostPosted: 7/20/2009, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey, this is getting close!

If anyone who has signed up is not coming, please let me know ASAP.

Also, cabin assignments will be based on what we did last year, and availability. Any special requests, let me know and I'll do what I can.

We should do some menu planning and assignments/volunteering. How does everyone feel about steaks again for Saturday night? We could go lower budget with a pasta meal if we want. After working outdoors at altitude, the spot is an easy target. ("That hits the spot.")

Let's get this discussion going! Ideas, options, plans, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: