ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Water Hike - June 27th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(12) (1) (2)
User
beckett
Deborah
GTG
Hikngrl
wanderingsoul
oliverr99
Shihiyea
Sande J
tibber
Suz
MerMuser
Zarff
User
bigjohn
User
Hnak
desertgirl
MerMuser

PostPosted: 6/23/2009, 12:23 pm    Post subject: Trail sites Reply to topic Reply with quote

We found some good trail sites...seems bikes and camping may no longer be allowed.

http://www.toddshikingguide.com/Hikes/Arizona/Coconino/Coconino8.htm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/red_rock/wet-beaver-creek-wild.shtml

Seems definitely worth it to explore a little longer up the way.

See you there! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Suz

PostPosted: 6/23/2009, 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: organizers? Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Is the plan to make this a real canyoneering type thing or just to walk the dry trail to "The Crack" (big swimming hole)to do some swimming and playing and maybe a little bit beyond?
Thanks,
GTG

I've had a few PM's about this, too. In my mind I'm wanting to go back as far as time will allow but my knee is hardly up for an Olympic Event so I'm just gonna be happy to be out and I'm taking it one pool at a time.

I was also asked about the time to travel to the trailhead. I can't remember exactly but it sure seems like I needed 2.5 hours from my house....here in Egypt.

(getting back to the rest of you via PM)
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/23/2009, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I cant go.
I just have too many things round the home that I need to wrap up Sad
beckett

PostPosted: 6/24/2009, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you won't be there Ambika...but we'll se seeing you at the GHOTM in July!
Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Deborah

PostPosted: 6/25/2009, 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We will be heading up tomorrow AM. Hopefully find a campspot nearby at Wet Beaver or Clear Creek Campground. The two most important things are shade and water.
MerMuser

PostPosted: 6/25/2009, 11:19 am    Post subject: Camping... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah,

A call to the ranger station indicated that there is camping along the dirt road between these 2 points most anywhere if you stay a mile from the trail head.

We may also do that.

Temps look to be possibly 101 and humid.

Good luck finding a nice spot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oliverr99

PostPosted: 6/26/2009, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, do we need hiking poles? I don't have any, right now. I left my set on the Mogollon Rim Embarassed If we need them, may I borrow one, or if someone has an extra pair for me to use, that would be awesome, thanks!!!!
Suz

PostPosted: 6/26/2009, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have one pole that I am bringing mostly to provide support for my knee. I'm sorry, I don't have any extras.
MerMuser

PostPosted: 6/26/2009, 4:53 pm    Post subject: Pole... Reply to topic Reply with quote

We'll have 4 so we can share poles!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 6/26/2009, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you!!!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 6/27/2009, 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

MerMuser, thank you so much for the pole. I hope you found it underneath the car. It was great meeting everyone, and seeing everyone. The hike was hot, but the water was cold! Linda, thanks for the ride and leading the trip. You did a great job!
Suz

PostPosted: 6/28/2009, 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was good to finally get on trail after 56 days of recovery and therapy! It was probably a little sooner than my body, therapist and doctor would have liked, I had to consciously and carefully plan every step. My neuro-receptors were a little outta whack and that foot didn't always lift as high as I thought it would. It was like hiking with a low-rider leg. The knee held up pretty well considering I've only walked on flat ground up until this hike but I think the puncture wound in my shin and prickly pear in the hand were both fine distractions from any wear and tear I might have felt in my knee.

Hiking back through a handful of pools with Moses (aka SandeJ) was great! See the pictures here
http://www.hikearizona.com/photoset.php?ID=8334

The hike in wasn't bad but the hike out was HOT. We were hydrated, covered and cooled from the creek so we were fine. I was a little ready to vomit back at the car but managed to pull out of that feeling with some yummy salty pringles. Thanks Dan. We passed lots of folks that were clearly suffering from the heat and trying to recover in the shade of a twig...their faces were firecracker red. We handed over whatever water we could spare, hopefully they all will plan better next time. It really was too hot for dogs and too hot for most folks hiking in at 2pm. A better plan would be to stay tucked in the coolness of the creek and trees until the sun begins setting.

Linda, nice job of bringing together so many folks---many that I have never hiked with before. Thanks you guys for tolerating my blood at dinner, on the trail and in the car...........in fact, that darn puncture wound is still bleeding!!

Thanks Dan for driving!

What's next?

Multi Hiking Yep, it's a swimmer! Spinning on my head Margarita
Deborah

PostPosted: 6/28/2009, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Everyone Cindy and I made it back to Tucson. We played in the canyon until about 3, went up just about 15 minutes more after we left Sandy and Suz. Thanks Sandy for having that pump along cause I drank that full 100 oz on the way back. We explored downstream from the crack too! Amazing only 1o minutes down is a huge campsite and a large private pool with jumping rocks away from the maddening crowd, and a trail up to the main bell trail.
Yes, we got back to the parking lot around 4:30 and It was amazing to see all the unprepared people hiking in there with dogs and no water. Cindy detered one couple with a cute little dog from going further when she said they would be going up hill to the pools. I was well hydrated but still had a headache at the truck.
We stopped at Quizo's for a quick sandwich and Dairy Queen for a milkshake and went exhausted back to camp. Clear Creek campground was very quiet last night I guess everyone was exhausted from their day of play.
Cindy was pleased to see a new canyon area, and i am convincing her to register with the site.
It was fun hiking and swimming with everyone!
Thanks Linda for organzing the hike !
Suz

PostPosted: 6/28/2009, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did anyone else get pictures? Dan, Linda, John, Deborah, Angela, Ann?
tibber

PostPosted: 6/28/2009, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have the group picture ready but I don't know how to insert it. I looked at FAQ but couldn't decipher how to insert the photo or start an album. I'm in the process of editing the rest of my photos.

It was nice to meet all of you. Other than the heat, it was an awesome hike and swim. It surely is a beautiful area. Thank you Linda for putting it together, for driving and for the nice cold Diet Pepper at the end of the trail.

I also enjoyed our late lunch/early dinner. To me, you just can't beat a good Mexican meal with a margarita to culminate a great hiking day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: