ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Italy here I come!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/17/2009, 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Zarff wrote:
Maybe you could pick up someone elses lease that is leaving.
Dan

That usually works best, but the other thing that happens is people that have been here a while move into the houses that other people left since they were nicer houses. We found 2 that will work today, just depends how much I want to drive and how much I want to pay.

As for the Dolomites and via Ferreta's I don't know anything yet. I hear they are pretty exposed so if that's a problem then medium may even be high. Hopefully once I get all settled in I'll be able to checkout some hiking and climbing places.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/18/2009, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Tim, It looks beautiful there. You are gonna have an awesome time. Hiking, Biking and Climbing. Once all the necessary stuff is done you're gonna be sending some awesome trip reports and pics.

Boy you lucky guy, such a nice tour. Enjoy it !!! I'll be watching for the posts from Italy.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 6/20/2009, 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Water looks clear and blue, just like in AZ. Rolling Eyes

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/21/2009, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Got to checkout some caves about an hour from base today near Fregona.

Will hopefully get in some real hiking next weekend on IHOTM.
Suz

PostPosted: 6/22/2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sweet!
pfredricks

PostPosted: 6/22/2009, 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Can't let you have all the fun to yourself!
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/28/2009, 11:21 am    Post subject: Italy GHOTM - Mt. Pasubio Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGHOTM:

I finally got around to doing some hiking out here. As fate would have it, Pete just happened to be in Italy doing his yearly Guard duty. I found a house last week and got a car this week so I was able to drive out an meet up with him about 2 hours from me. One the way to Vicenza to pick up Pete it was just a downpour. The forecast was calling for rain all weekend as well. About 30 minutes from getting Pete the weather let up and quite raining at least. With a little help from Mr. Garmin I was able to make it and find Pete's town and we got some breakfast at the chow hall.

From there it was to be an hour + drive to the trailhead. I will say it is much more difficult to find out info on hikes here than it is in AZ. With a little help from Summitpost, google maps, my GPS and a few other websites I had a spot on the road picked out where I thought the trailhead should be. We drove though some small towns, each with a little town square and large church steeples which could be seen miles. A turn here and a turn there and we finally found ourselves on a one lane (not one way, just a one lane) mountain road steeply climbing above the towns we drove through. It drizzled on and off and after gaining a few hundred feet we were in the clouds already, never could see just how far the drops were on this mountain road but from the look on Pete's face I think that was just fine with him.

We pass a few bicyclist charging up the mountain and arrive at what could possibly be our starting point. Trying to figure out what all the signs mean we decide to continue a bit further on the road, not sure if your even allowed to drive on it though. 10 minutes later we reach what we are both sure is the trailhead at 1216 meters. We throw our packs on and begin our hike.

Our goal Mt. Pasubio, the trail follows an old WWI road/route. Some interesting history can be found here: Monte Pasubio The "road" was only 5" in most places and followed the edge of the mountain. There were 52 tunnels blown through the mountain to allow passage some 100 meters long so a headlamp was a necessity, good thing Pete had one. It was pretty steep as well and had some squaw peak similarities the way it keeps your heart pumping. Occasionally the mist/fog/clouds would clear and give us a slight view of the surrounding area. It started raining as we neared the Refugio Papa. The Refugio's are the mountain huts all over the country where you can stay for the night or get some food. We passed and continued further up the road in the direction we believed the summit to be. After another half mile and a steady rain and about 50' visibility we decided to head back to the refugio since we really had know idea where the actual summit was or how to get there.

We headed inside Refugio Papa named after Gen. Achille Papa of the Italian Army. The refugio at 1928m was built were the WW1 barrack used to be. I wish I could have seen it on a clear day, but even the brief glimps we could see of surrounding peaks looked amazing. We even passed a few snowfield along the way. We headed inside and were happy to be warm and dry. We sat down at a table and had some pasta and a beer. Now that's my new idea of backcountry eating. I used to laugh when thinking of a cafe stand on top of a mountain, but thats essentially what some of these are though. Most also have dorm type lodging available for a reasonable cost. Backcountry camping isn't allowed in most areas here.

After lunch the rain had let up again and we headed back down. The 52 tunnels were going by quickly and before we knew it we were back at the car, just in time for the rain to come. I still can't believe that Pete and I were able to go hiking in Italy. He had told me a few months back that he would be here in June. I figured Italy was a big country and it would be nearly impossible to get together just a few weeks after I got here, but everything worked it and we had a great time despite some mediocre weather. Hiking through the cloudy mist through tunnels though did ad a bit to the mysterious of the mountain though. Italy awarded 30 Gold Medals for combat that took place on Mount Pasubio.

Here is a link to the pictures I took. My Mount Pasubio Pictures

This site also has some pictures of what it would have looked like on a clear day, might just have to come back another day.
Pics
Suz

PostPosted: 6/28/2009, 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

was it cold, was it hot, was it humid, what was the elevation...geez that looks high up there. What were those little flowers, could you please take a closer shot of them next time. And did you really just post pictures that had snow in them after we just had our hottest day of the summer???

It looks amazingly beautiful.

So you hiked to the top of the mountain and there was a cafe? Was anyone else in there?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/28/2009, 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

All of the above. Elevation ranged from 4000 to about 7000', temps from the 60's to the 40's in the tunnels. Since it was raining it was humid. Yes I hear it's a bit warm back there. Had another downpour here tonight, had to close the window since it gets cold at night Smile
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice Tim... a very different looking hike than here... You just got there and started, so many places to see.
Thanks for sharing with us and you and Pete were able to hook up

Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 6/30/2009, 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Off to Germany now for 6 days and a lot of softball!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A little Saturday drive to Trieste Castles, Coastline and Caves

thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tim... I've been to that castle!! Around 1978 or so. Did you visit Harry's grill by any chance? Did you see the triangular-shaped church above the city? Were the people friendly? Man, you've dredged up some good memories!!!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We did see that church from down before, actually we weren't sure what it was. So far everyone has been friendly, need to work on my Italian a lot more though. This weekend is Austria, Slovenia and Croatia.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/13/2009, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Boy Tim you are making the rounds. See it all and as much as you can. One day I'll get myself back over to Europe. Nice pics and lots of memories. Thanks for sharing it with us

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: