ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Harriet at the Front door!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 10/16/2007, 6:23 am    Post subject: Harriet at the Front door! Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was dark out so I was a little concerned this morning when Sadie had her nose pressed against the windows near the front door and started growling and barking. She's never done this before so I was excited and concerned all at the same time. (She's really shaping into a nice dog.)

My first thought was that there was a prowler or something lurking around. Feeling brave I looked out but couldn't see much because it was early and pitch black outside. I opened the door and saw a dark blob at my feet and heard some sort of growling......it was a fricken Javelina close enough to my door that it could have rung the doorbell. I think it was checking out the ceramic pumpkin that i set outside the door. I shut the door quickly because that thing didn't move or get spooked when I opened the door. I grabbed the camera and headed back out. It scrambled away fast enough that I could hear its hooves clicking on the concrete....but it stopped to eat some of my FLOWERS! It was already pretty big and fluffly...well fed. I put Sadie on the leash and went back out one more time. By this time it was across the street but staring us down from a distance.

Ah the joys of living here in Gold Canyon!
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 10/16/2007, 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

they move in herds. very poor eyesight so i doubt it was checking on ceramics. yes, they eat flowers. and tomatoes, peppers, squash and everything else i have tried to plant.
the babies however are maybe the cutest thing ive ever witnessed.

what i do
IGO

PostPosted: 10/16/2007, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

bald kid plays bango in the background...... Razz
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 10/16/2007, 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Harriet at the Front door! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
It was dark out so I was a little concerned this morning when Sadie had her nose pressed against the windows near the front door and started growling and barking. She's never done this before so I was excited and concerned all at the same time. (She's really shaping into a nice dog.)

My first thought was that there was a prowler or something lurking around. Feeling brave I looked out but couldn't see much because it was early and pitch black outside. I opened the door . . .

Susan will now report for refresher "Stranger Danger" training.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/16/2007, 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Been seeing a lot of them on my morning walks and rides, not a problem with me. They like to eat dry dog food and pumpkins among other things. Elk came by my campsite the other day and hoofed at my pumpkin.
Suz

PostPosted: 10/17/2007, 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Harriet at the Front door! Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:

Susan will now report for refresher "Stranger Danger" training.

geez-------did my mother tell you to say that? I know I shouldn't have opened the door............and 99.9% of the time I don't. Embarassed Just figured that when I opened the door it was going to scare a person or whatever away.

I'm thinking if I had waited any longer it was going to ring the doorbell.
Suz

PostPosted: 6/13/2009, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is the second time I've seen a poor limping Javelina. It appears to have an injury on it's right front leg. The others cross around 6am and this one follows about 5-10 minutes later. At least today it had another one hanging with it......the sweep javelina, I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: