ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
hiking Rainier

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosechild

PostPosted: 6/1/2009, 8:16 pm    Post subject: hiking Rainier Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone summited Mt. Rainier in WA that can tell me about it?
SkyIslandHiker

PostPosted: 6/1/2009, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You might want to pose your question here:
http://www.nwhikers.net/
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 6/2/2009, 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have and will try to answer any questions I can for you.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
sbkelley

PostPosted: 6/2/2009, 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I climbed Mt. Rainier last July with RMI - here's a link to our group's trip report. If you have any other questions, there are a few folks here that have been up and will be happy to answer them:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4659&parmpeak=Mt.+Rainier&start=125&cpgm=tripmain
cakewalk

PostPosted: 6/2/2009, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sbkelley wrote:
I climbed Mt. Rainier last July with RMI - here's a link to our group's trip report. If you have any other questions, there are a few folks here that have been up and will be happy to answer them:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4659&parmpeak=Mt.+Rainier&start=125&cpgm=tripmain

Awesome pictures!
rosechild

PostPosted: 6/7/2009, 9:51 pm    Post subject: to Desert Boonie Reply to topic Reply with quote

hi there -

I'd love to learn your experience on the mountain. Did you go with a giude? How difficult would you say it is? How long is the summit from Camp Muir? What time of year did you go? Anything is helpful! Thank you!
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 6/7/2009, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Went with RMI Guides. Late July after a storm put frest snow and ice on the top half of the mountain. From Muir to the summit it is 4000+ft. The first day you do your climbing school where they get you ready for the climb, then day 2 you hike up to Muir, taking breaks every hour or so. Get to Muir and they want everyone in bed by sunset to rest up as they will wake you up between 11pm-12am to start the summit climb around 1am. You will be roped up for the summit day with a guide and usually 2 other climbers. You will take a break every 1000ft roughly where they want you to eat and drink. Was at 12,000ft when the sunrise started. Was on the summit at 6am or around there. Then you have to go all the way back down to Paradise which takes all day and in the Koflach plastic boots really killed my feet. Do not use those boots if you can help it. That was the way it was with the 3 day RMI service. If there is bad weather they will stop you from going up so plan on good dates where the weather is usually good. If you are in good shape and hike uphill frequently you should be good with the climb, it will tire you out, but at the pace they set it is nothing too bad in my mind. Real steep towards the top which racks your nerves a bit, but a great trek overall and worth going. Hope that gives you some info on what you are looking for.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: