ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Any hiking recommendations for Moab area?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
threedogz

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 10:40 am    Post subject: Any hiking recommendations for Moab area? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am going to Moab with a group to mainly bike next week, but we want to spend a day hiking as well. Any recommendations for a really good hike?

Thanks in advance!

Heidi
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Check out Arches National Park -- Many trail of varying difficulty (none too hard).
http://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

A longer hike that I enjoyed : Devils Garden Primitive Loop
Starting Point: Devils Garden Trailhead parking area
Length: 7.2 mi/11.5 km round-trip, including all points of interest
Time: 3 to 5 hours
Longest of the maintained trails in the park, the Devils Garden Trail leads to eight awe-inspiring arches. Expect narrow ledges with rocky surface hiking and scrambling on slickrock.

Another hike :Ranger guided Fiery Furnace hike.

I am quite sure there are other trail in the area outside the park but I am not in the know ...
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertGirl has some great suggestions for Arches National Park but if you have a full day and get an early start, you can always try one of the hikes in the Needles section of Canyonlands, about an hour south of Moab on 191. My recommendations would be to Chesler Park, Druid Arch, or you can do several loop trails in the Chesler Park area. Druid Arch is not quite 11 miles RT and the loop trails can be anywhere from 5-14 miles. I really loved the Chesler Park area and you get some terrific views of the needles and actually hike very close to them. If you want more info on Needles hikes, maps etc, just PM me.

Island in the Sky District of Canyonlands is about an hour northwest of Moab and there are trails there also, but they are shorter in length and usually take you out across the mesa to a view point.

Hope this is helpful

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
threedogz

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

DesertGirl and Trish, this is very helpful information. I appreciate your feedback. I am really excited to go and will make it to one of these hikes. They all sound like winners.

I am so excited to go up there...I haven't been to that part of Utah yet.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/29/2009, 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have hiked and biked the Amasa Back trail. It's a multi-use trail and probably not what you are looking for if hiking, but maybe for biking? It is off of Kane Creek Road. If you drive down Kane Creek Road there is free at-large camping a few miles down there. It is worth driving down there, anyway, if you have time to do some exploring. At first, Kane Creek Road follows the Colorado River. I have been to Moab only as a volunteer doing first aid for the big mountain bike races. I have been there 4 times in the past 8 years and, although I have seen a lot of neat things, I've not been free to do much exploring while I'm there.

The weather forecast for Moab is for scattered thundershowers and temps in the high 80's so you are pretty lucky, because it is usually HOT there this time of year!
threedogz

PostPosted: 5/30/2009, 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks Elizabeth! That sounds like it would be great for biking. We are not doing any camping for this trip thankfully because I am doing that the following week for 4 days for another trip.

The forecast looks great there. However, I really do not mind the heat. I bike/hike here in it all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: