ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
National Geographic Adventure Magazine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 11:32 am    Post subject: National Geographic Adventure Magazine Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://adventure.nationalgeographic.com/

Just wondering if anyone is subscribing to this magazine and what ya think about it?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to subscribe. It's a bit like Outside, in that they usually had at least one good piece of well-researched, well-written journalism, amongst all the schlocky stuff, (unlike Backpacker, which only occasionally breaks out of the mold of being a magazine published solely to sell products.)

It will have adventures all over the world, also like Outside. Actually it might be better than Outside, which too often features egotistical famous cyclists, skiers and surfers. (Which is why I quit subscribing to Outside--too many famous people, usually men, were always on the cover and in the feature stories. I am not interested in famous people or male jocks or jocks in general.)
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I pick it up if I see an article that interests me, but I don't have any magazine subscriptions for anymore, it's too easy just to go to the bookstore and read it there

Kerouac
rayhiker

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I subscribed to NG Adventure for a year and was very impressed (not enough to resubscribe though... but I don't lack for things to read)
desertgirl

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would be if they actually get with it and send me my mag. I noticed I bought enough issues that it is cheaper with the subscription....
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
unlike Backpacker, which only occasionally breaks out of the mold of being a magazine published solely to sell product

Last time I was at barnes and noble I almost crapped my pants when I read them talking about this new thing called.... Cuben Fiber! And then I did actually doo doo a little when I read them suggest companies like Mountain Laurel Designs (which makes very light, but excellent gear)

Kerouac
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I actually don't keep up with new gear info that much, but have heard others complain that Backpacker doesn't talk up ultralight that much.

What I look for in an outdoor magazine, in addition to a little information about new gear, areas to explore, enviro coverage and news of the outdoors, is GOOD JOURNALISM. I want to read feature articles that are well-researched, not fluff, written by great journalists such as Rick Bass, Jon Krakauer, Tim Cahill, etc. (Yeah, and some women, too, but can't remember their names offhand.) Articles that are in-depth, and take time to read, that make you want to keep the magazine and not use it to start a campfire. Outside has published at least one anthology of articles of this type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Photos, Literature, Art, Websites All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: