ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rain!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/23/2009, 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

3.27 inches fell between 7pm Thusday and noon Friday. 4.78 is our average yearly total. Woke up last night with more rain falling. Supposed to continue today and tomorrow at least! Streets have been flooded, with lots of mud and debris left behind. Some streets undercut, while others remain flooded. Pretty remarkable here.
Suz

PostPosted: 5/23/2009, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

it looks like the LCR near Cameron has set a new cfs discharge rate of 1920. It is now exceeding the record in 1973
Suz

PostPosted: 5/23/2009, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

okay the water finally got to the other end......wow! that took the entire day!
it was at 1850 cfs--up from the median of 221!
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site_no=09402300&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/24/2009, 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! Nice day to go to Grand Falls, except that the roads would have been VERY bad!

So, I hope this thing (storm) has slowed down. I have a lot to do the rest of the weekend, as I haven't finished planting my vegetable garden and getting my lawns and hedges shaped up after being gone all winter. I have not left my property since Friday at lunchtime! Plus, I have company coming, so have been cleaning as well. My company (daughter and friend) want to go HIKING, so I might actually get out there this weekend!!! Except that my daughter said that a girl wearing stiletto heels stepped on her and jabbed her on the top of the foot while dancing, so she said she is very sore and bruised. Sounds awful to me!

At least the rain kept me in, so I had little choice but to clean house! And you guys all know how much I love cleaning! Rolling Eyes

This past week or so it has finally started to look like summer around here. This area, Round Valley, is VERY drab in winter, but very colorful in summer, with many bright-leaved deciduous trees. Everyone has lawns and flowers, etc. We have our own water sources up on the mountain, and we don't tend to deplete our supplies, so far, as our population does not grow much.
Suz

PostPosted: 5/25/2009, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

so all of the people that I knew that were at the LCRG are out and safe. The flash flood hit them at 1pm on Saturday while they were hiking up stream. They were stranded with the group separated for one night on a small beach about 30ft above the water. They spent Sunday making their way back to camp through the flooding waters waiting for the lower times....and rested before hiking out today.(monday) They did get some blue water on Friday.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/25/2009, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad they are safe, hope they do a write-up with some pictures about it.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/26/2009, 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad to hear it, Suz!

Yesterday we drove up to Big Lake, but it was pouring, and sleeting, and there was even a little dusting of snow under the trees. We drank hot chocolates at the store there, and came home. We need this rain, but the local businesses didn't need Memorial Day to be complete washout two years in a row!
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/26/2009, 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad to hear it, Suz!
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear it too--turns out a friend of mine was with your friends. mp
Suz

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Small world, isn't it?!

We/they walked a really fine line on this one.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/28/2009, 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am so tired of the rain! It is cold and damp here, although earlier this morning it was blue and gorgeous. I know we really NEED the rain! Just wish it was at night or something! It has been in the 30's at night lately, also. Brrr. We are still heating our house most of the time.

I guess moving to Oregon is an idea I should abandon. I like the heat and sunshine on my skin too much! Tucson in July sounds good right about now!
beckett

PostPosted: 6/25/2009, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A few sprinkles here in Surprise...wish it would pour!

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/25/2009, 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We had a humdinger of a thunderstorm with POURING rain this afternoon and a LOT of close-by lightning at my job at the guest ranch near Green's Peak/Greer. Some of the guests were out on a horseback ride and they rode for quite awhile in the rain. Good thing the wranglers packed those big old-fashioned raincoats! There were two little girls on the ride, and I was so worried they'd be scared, what with all the lightning. But when they got back they were fine, and not too wet, either.

It sure was a beautiful day. I rode my bike a few miles this morning before work, and it was all cloudy and sort of humid but not cold, reminded me of summers in the Appalachians I spent years ago. Everything is getting SO green up here right now, it looks like August! I just love monsoon! I love the humidity, too, so I'm weird.

This morning while at work I had time for a 4-mile hike by myself, up to a waterhole and meadow. I'm still learning the trails and need to know them well in order to take guests on them. At least, that's the excuse I have for solo hiking during work! The storm was brewing for sure, and a few droplets fell on me before I got back to the ranch. I saw a cow elk in the meadow.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/25/2009, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm heading up north for an AZT event on the north side of Humphreys tomorrow evening, hoping the rain holds off till late afternoon so we get lots of trail built.
beckett

PostPosted: 6/26/2009, 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
I'm heading up north for an AZT event on the north side of Humphreys tomorrow evening, hoping the rain holds off till late afternoon so we get lots of trail built.

For your sakes I will hope the rain holds off. I will hope for all the rain to fall further south!

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: