ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Canyonlands Trilogy 2009 PART UN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/20/2009, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Canyonlands Trilogy 2009 PART UN Reply to topic Reply with quote

Part Un

Our first section of Canyonlands:

HORSESHOE CANYON

Following the trail of the Ancients

Horseshoe Canyon (originally Barrier Canyon) is a detached unit of Canyonlands National Park that was added in 1971. Its intriguing rock art is often considered to be the most significant in North America. The petroglyphs here are said to be dated to 1 A.D. based on carbon dating of the surrounding areas and predate both the Anasazi and Fremont cultures, some of them possibly being > 8,000 years old. There are four galleries of petroglyphs to view in this canyon and each one left us speechless. These four galleries are: The High Gallery, Horseshoe Shelter, The Alcove and The Great Gallery. Archaeologists are still trying to decipher just what the figures in each gallery mean.

This is a wonderful high desert hike and we (my cousin Carol and I) did this on May 10, 2009. The drive to the trailhead is an adventure all in itself and required about 1.5 hours to the trailhead and then another 1.5 hours back out. The hike itself takes about 5-6 hours round trip due and while I initially thought we could easily hoof this one off in 3 hours……well….I’ll get to that in a bit. Just plan on an all day event but it is well worth the time and the effort. Since we visited in May and it was already hot, I can’t imagine doing this one in the heat of the summer so Fall or Spring would be my choices and bring a MINIMUM of 3 liters of water. I originally thought to rate this as a moderate hike but thought twice about that and decided that it was probably more moderately difficult due to the elements. You can camp at the TH but it is very exposed and windy most times with a pit toilet.

Once you find the trailhead (directions to follow) you head immediately across slickrock and start descending into the canyon. The trail in this area is readily marked with cairns and easy to follow. When we arrived at the TH it was already 11:00 AM and very gusty winds blowing. We were dressed in long sleeves and zip offs but once we got ½ a mile down we were strippin’ off the layers because there was no wind or even a breeze and only relentless sun. You descend 800 feet in a little over a mile and then the lovely slickrock ends and you are hiking in fine sand. There are supposedly dinosaur tracks in this sandy portion as it meets the canyon floor but we were unable to find them. Maybe they were buried under all the sand? Hang a right once you get to the canyon floor and you are on your way to all the galleries and petroglyph heaven. The canyon floor is dotted with dispersed but welcoming shade from cottonwoods but the entire hike from this point on is in SAND.

I’m posting the following coordinates that are on another website so I thank the techno geek for lending them to me to use here on AZH. I never use GPS and found all the panels by simply following the cairns.

The first gallery is the High Gallery located on your left (to the east) or at N38 27’ 41” W110 11’ 54”

The second gallery is the Horseshoe Gallery on your right (to the west) about ¼ mile down the canyon or at N38 27’ 45” W110 11’ 58”

The third gallery is the Alcove on your right another ½ mile or so or at N38 27’ 22” W110 12’ 21”

The last and best gallery is the Great Gallery about a mile or so down the canyon located on your right (or west) at N38 26’ 49” W110 12’ 47”

All the galleries are amazing but the Great Gallery is an immense panel of life sized petroglyphs, There is normally a ranger here to give you history of the canyon and will allow you to climb the small ledge to view them closer. We met Ranger Sarah that day who was based in the Hans Flat Ranger Station (gateway to the MAZE) The petroglyphs are almost alien in design as they are armsless/legless mummy looking humanoids……there are obvious animals in the mix also…deer, dogs etc. But I was left wondering…what were the Ancients trying to tell us? Is it a life story? Is it a migration? Is it an alien encounter? The immensity and detail of these petroglyphs just blew me away.

Did I mention this entire hike was in fine sand. Ohhhh and I really dislike hiking in sand. It was at least 90 degrees this May afternoon with a little bit of a breeze and some shade here and there from the cottonwoods. There was a little bit of stagnant water that could be filtered in a pinch but I went through 3 liters in 5 hours. The sand is why I decided to give this a moderately difficult rating. Once you’ve hiked a couple of miles through the sand and then back out, you then have to trudge uphill 850’ climb through MORE sand and then across the slickrock out.

It was an amazing hike and well worth all the sweat and sand. Directions to the TH will follow. I wouldn’t even attempt to drive to this TH in bad weather or if there were recent heavy rains due to all the sand.

Directions to the TH: From Green River Utah

Follow I-70 to Utah 24 south to Hanksville. Follow this for about 25 miles or just 1/2 a mile past the entrance to Goblin Valley State Park. Hang a left onto a a dirt road (well maintained but I wouldn't go on it in bad weather). There are signs for Horseshoe Canyon 32 miles. Follow this road for about 25 miles until you get to a Kiosk that states Hans Flat Ranger Station to the right and Horseshoe Canyon to the left...bear to the left and follow this for another 5 miles then take a right onto a more primitive road and follow this 1.7 miles to the TH.

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/25/2009, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Everyone should make the pilgrimage to Horseshoe and its galleries. Looks like you and cousin Carol had a high time out there.

On the lower middle image, Page one in your gallery set, is the original Boy and his Dog, much earlier than Don Johnson and Blood from the old movie A Boy and his Dog. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: