ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Arizona Earthquake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 5/11/2009, 6:32 am    Post subject: Arizona Earthquake Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://arizonageology.blogspot.com/2009/05/m-31-earthquake-in-central-arizona.html

Anyone feel it?
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/11/2009, 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, that's neat!

A 3.1 would not be easy to notice. Most people are asleep at 11 on a Sunday night, so they wouldn't notice it.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/11/2009, 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gee, reading some of the papers, there is a fault line in Carefree Hell's Canyon. We were in Hell's Canyon, wonder where we were in relation to it. Kinda interesting. No I didn't feel a thing.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/11/2009, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Time to bring up the 1887 Tucson earthquake. Well, actually, the epicenter was in Northern Sonora:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/world/events/1887_05_03.php

Just a reminder that these things can happen unexpectedly.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 5/11/2009, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Blasting ?
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/12/2009, 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Apparently in 1996 there was a 5.1 or so up here in this area. Rattled plates in town, so I've been told.
Deborah

PostPosted: 5/12/2009, 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pools rippled and lights swayed in Tucson back in 96.
The Desert Museum used to have a seismograph which recorded quakes.
Maybe a fault or two here in Tucson. Rocks were displaced in the Catalinas during the 1887 quake.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/12/2009, 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was in Tucson in '96, but I didn't feel it. I vaguely remember people talking about it, but most people didn't seem to notice it, as I recall. Since I grew up in CA and also lived on the Big Island I have been in quite a few 4s and 5's. 3's aren't even worth mentioning if you live in CA.

Here's one resource, with maps: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/27.37.-115.-105.php
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/12/2009, 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So you mean I shouldn't have been standing in a door frame holding on and hoping for the best?? Laughing
Just teasing...

I don't think I'd like to even experience what is considered a small one. OK I'm a WIMP !

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/13/2009, 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

If you grow up with them, they happen at least once a year or so, and usually they aren't very scary. The only scary one I was ever in was in Hawaii in 1983. Most of the ones there are from the movement of magma underneath the earth, signalling yet another volcanic eruption. This is different from the California ones, which are a shifting of the plates.

Oh, YIKES!! That one was a 6.7!! Yikes! I just looked it up on the internet. Nov. 16, 1983. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/events/1983_11_16.php

Here is my story about that 6.7: We lived in a 100-year-old termite-infested "coffee shack" with a rusty tin roof, between Kainaliu and Kealakekua, in mauka Kona. (Yeah, lots of "K's" in the Hawaiian language, which has only 12 letters: aehiklmnopuw.) This big old funky rambling place was 100 bucks a month, had a million dollar view of the ocean, and was out in the boonies on a huge ranch. It was almost a mile of serious 4WD road to get to the house. My second child, Matt, was only 6 days old. The earthquake struck at dawn. I jumped out of bed, grabbed the baby and ran, yelling behind me to my husband to grab our 2-year-old boy. This house was quite odd, with several additions, and the only means of egress seemed like quite a distance away, and by the time I got out the door, the earthquake was over. That old wooden house just danced around and wasn't damaged. (The worst buildings to be in are unrebarred brick, concrete, adobe, etc. Wood is the best.) So we stood out there in the yard, the quake was over, we just sort of shrugged it off and went back inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: