ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Hiking Friends Harrassed by Ranger at Fort Bowie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deborah

PostPosted: 5/5/2009, 8:58 am    Post subject: Hiking Friends Harrassed by Ranger at Fort Bowie Reply to topic Reply with quote

A few of my hiking friends went over to Fort Bowie on the 24 of April.
One friend has a couple of plastic toy lizards on the dash of her truck.
As they arrived back to her truck they were met by one of the Fort Bowie Rangers who told her something was wrong with her truck Registration. Obviously the tags on her truck are current! He started to claim that she was a lizard collector and wanted to see a license for Lizard collecting. She was with 5 other people at the time who had all hiked over to the Fort and back.
The Ranger proceded to check her hiking poles and wanted to search the truck. When she refused he threatened to arrest her until they could get a search warrant. She finally decided to let them since she knew she had nothing to hide and they finally let the group go.
My friends did write a letter to the Supertendent of the Park Service, but little will it do.
I don't think I will ever hike over at Fort Bowie again. A few years ago, I did one of the peaks over there and the Ranger personally called me on my cell phone asking how may were coming and what time we were starting the hike.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/5/2009, 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is just ridiculous. This info should be spread around. Deborah, you really should post this on HAZ as well.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/5/2009, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sometimes a little authority is more than a guy can handle . . . .
sbkelley

PostPosted: 5/5/2009, 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like the ranger must not have a lot to do...seems like an incredibly unnecessary set of actions.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/6/2009, 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hiking Friends Harrassed by Ranger at Fort Bowie Reply to topic Reply with quote

Deborah wrote:
A few years ago, I did one of the peaks over there and the Ranger personally called me on my cell phone asking how may were coming and what time we were starting the hike.

Sounds like they were trying trying to figure out what a good time was to break into your car or something.
Deborah

PostPosted: 5/6/2009, 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hiking Friends Harrassed by Ranger at Fort Bowie Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Deborah wrote:
A few years ago, I did one of the peaks over there and the Ranger personally called me on my cell phone asking how may were coming and what time we were starting the hike.

Sounds like they were trying trying to figure out what a good time was to break into your car or something.

No, the Mexican hiking club had been going through the area, and they wanted us to be careful when hiking up the canyon to the peak in case we ran into anybody we could report them to the Rangers.
windymesa

PostPosted: 5/7/2009, 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

According to the non-NPS rangers I know, he can not arrest you while waiting for a warrant. However, he could search your vehicle without a warrant if there was probable cause (he wouldn't nbeed to arrest you).. such as marajuana smoke or roach clips, or a dead body, etc. If he would have called in for a warrant, he would have been laughed at based on plastic lizards on the dash. NPS rangers are a different breed.. in general... but this guy sounds way too anal Crazy . Are you sure you weren't in Mexico?... with the federalies fishing for a $25 tip. Wouldn't hurt to write the Super, with a CC to your congressman. Based on your info, this is poopie. What you need to do is become a poopie.. because you can't poopie a poopie. Razz
azhiker96

PostPosted: 5/7/2009, 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I second what windymesa said. I had problems with the TSA a few years ago. It seems Deanda and I were on the terrorist watch list. I know I know, it seems crazy. My friends at the Friday night Jihad meeting couldn't figure it out either.(sarcasm)
Anyway, we wrote Sen. McCain. His office wrote to the TSA several times on our behalf and sent us copies of all correspondence. The end result is within a few months we were off the list. Representatives like dealing with stuff like this. It gives them a chance to throw their weight around on behalf of their constituents.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 5/10/2009, 1:46 pm    Post subject: by the way Reply to topic Reply with quote

By the way, the supreme court just ruled on the constitutionality and the police powers of searching inside a vehicle after someone has been arrested or otherwised detained. First of all they would need reason to arrest you, otherwise have a reasonable suspicion to obtain a warrant.

http://www.kmeg.com/Global/story.asp?S=10322774

On principle, sure probably could have called his bluff and said to go ahead and get a warrant. I question what the probable cause was and doubt a warrant would have even been issued. BUT, in the interest of getting home in a reasonable time the search would be the easy way to go.
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 5/10/2009, 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

"Mexican Hiking Club", that's funny, never heard that one before.

Since I don't think you can enter NPS property while armed, I'll avoid Ft. Bowie for now. I would no longer think of touring the Chiricahuas, Huachucas, or San Rafael Valley unarmed anymore. Wouldn't be safe to sleep. Otherwise, the Mexican Hiking Club can meet the American Hunting Club. I was white tail hunting south of Rucker Lake a few years back and encountered about 12 illegals. Border Patrol got them, so I didn't have to intervene. Only had one hunt tag anyway.....
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/10/2009, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I looked on the Ft. Bowie website, thought they might have an email address on there, so that I could send them this thread! But they don't have one listed. That might make someone wake up and realize that the public is paying attention!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: