ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Coyote Gulch and More

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 5/3/2009, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Coyote Gulch and More Reply to topic Reply with quote

This was an unusual trip for me since it was professionally guided by the Wildland Trekking Company in Flagstaff (wildlandtrekking.com). My son gave me a Christmas gift certificate from them and after looking at their offerings I selected Coyote Gulch in Utah. Never been there before and it would be nice to have someone take me there.

We ended up with 4 travelers. There was supposed to be a 5th on this trip, a businessman from Texas. We met Sunday night in his hotel room in Flag. He complained of kidney problems he attributed to altitude. We went to pick him up at 5:30 AM for the trip but he bowed out at that time thinking he might have a kidney stone. So that left 4 of us.

I was disappointed that he bowed out because my quick assessment (may not be true at all) was that I would be equal or better than him on the trail but there was no way I compared well to the other three. I am not fond of being the weak link in the chain but the whole thing worked out well anyway. I told this story to my hiking mates. They got a kick out of that.

The 4 were Brad, co-owner of the business, avid climber (instructor level), off-roader, botanist and great cook. Bennett is a guide, avid climber and pro photographer. Kirsten is a New Zealander, cardiac nurse and adventure traveler and me of course.

I was very happy with the trip and the services provided.
Brad knew the area and routes cold having hiked there many times over the past 20 years. No time was lost finding trailheads, trails, springs or anything so all time got used profitably.

I used their equipment including Deuter Backpack, Big Agnes tent, sleeping bag and air mattress and had nothing to clean when I got home.

They provided all the great real food (eggs, bacon, pancakes, real homemade pizza, fresh fruit and veggies (the real thing), snacks and absolutely no freeze dried anything. My backpack weight was ordinary and actually less than I carried to Mount Whitney. The guides backpack weight was a lot more.

There were a small number of trail sections I could not do on my own. The guides got me through those safely including belaying me on a rope that was not needed in the end but made me feel comfortable while hiking on seriously slanted slick rock. They routinely carried our backpacks over the difficult places so we didn’t have to. Both these guys were Spidermen so they did that with relative ease.

Both Brad and Bennett were fun backpacking companions and we had a lot of fun. There is a role for professionally guided trips especially in unfamiliar territory where you want to get the most out of it and have limited time to do it. Brad likes to say he would custom design any trip any way the group wants and I believe that. So he offers packaged trips that can be modified or he would customize anyway you want for a fee of course.

I have posted 103 pictures on Webshots covering the entire trip. The area is fantastically beautiful as you will see in the photos.

Coyote Gulch Backpack Main Events

April 27, 2009
Drive from Flagstaff to Red Well Trailhead and hike in 3.5 miles (starting 4:30 PM – all times in AZ zone).

Stops along the way on Cottonwood Road including Grosvenor Arch where we assembled our backpacks distributing food and other items unfairly overloading our trip leaders which is the right thing to do.

April 28, 2009
We hiked 8 miles down Coyote Gulch seeing Jacob Hamlin Arch, some ruins just before Coyote Natural Bridge, and the natural bridge and past that to our campsite near the second and best ruins.

April 29, 2009
Toured the ruins across from our campsite and hiked 4 miles passing Cliff Arch and continuing to our campsite a short distance past the trail that goes out to the Forty Mile Ridge Trailhead. This section had some slant slick rock that was difficult for me. Our trip leaders were expert climbers and I needed significant help from them crossing those sections.

April 30, 2009
On this day we had the choice of doing a day hike deep into Steven’s Canyon or hiking out and doing other interesting trails nearby. Kirsten and I decided on the later and that is what we did.
Did the easy hike down Coyote Creek to its’ confluence with the Escalante River and a short distance down the river to get great views of Stevens Arch. Then we hiked out to the Forty Mile Ridge trailhead that starts with a steep 700 foot ascent over deep sand followed by relatively easy hiking over slick rock and sand for the final 2 miles. We were out by 11:30 AM.

Our leader Brad took us to do a 3.2 mile hike that included a romp through a very narrow slot canyon. We did Spooky Canyon and that was the narrowest slot I have ever been through and I have been through a few including twice through wire pass but this one is narrower. 3 inches less and it would not be doable by most of us. It was a blast.

After Spooky Canyon Brad took us to see dinosaur tracks parking a short distance past the Twentymile Dinosaur Tracks trailhead. We hiked a final 0.4 miles for the day and saw some well defined tracks from a few eons ago. Off to downtown Escalante to pig out on pizza (we did a good job at that) and on to our campsite a short distance up Old Sheffield road.

May 1, 2009
Off to do a very popular trail in the Escalante National Monument: Camp Creek Falls. After a pancake breakfast at the trailhead we charged up the sandy but relatively easy going 3 mile Calf Creek Falls trail. Along the way we saw ruins and pictographs in the distance and passed through forest cover of Juniper and finally thick stands of Box Elder trees. At the end was the very impressive 128 foot lower Camp Creek falls. Had some snacks there and just enjoyed the falls for about ½ hour. Had a quick trip back to the car to begin our trip back to Flagstaff after having a 12 inch Subway meal in Escalante. We were back in Flag by 7:00 PM and I was able to drive home to Mesa after that.
Deborah

PostPosted: 5/3/2009, 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a great time. I did Coyote Gulch in 96 it was the most memorable time of my life!
Suz

PostPosted: 5/3/2009, 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow Joe! Way to become spoiled!! Beer
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/3/2009, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool! Been looking at a Coyote Gulch trip for a couple years, but haven't managed to do it yet. Escalante area is so beautiful though.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/3/2009, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way Cool Joe. What a wonderful gift for you.
Haven't had time to look through all the pic yet, but the few pages I did go through look wonderful.
What a nice trip and you had a Wonderful time.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 5/5/2009, 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow! What a great thing. Maybe I will treat myself to one of those, as all my hiking buds are out of state! Sounds like a wonderful trip!! ( keeping that group's name for sure!!) Thanks for the writeup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: